Bolens clutch/brake pedal

goosemasterkl

Threads
I have a Bolens model# 13WC762F065 with the gear selector on the dash. My problem is when you're driving/mowing with it lets say you have the gear selector to 3rd gear. It will go fine like that for awhile then the clutch/brake pedal starts releasing out fully and now you're traveling in high speed but the gear selector is still in 3rd gear. Can someone please give me some advice on how to fix this problem. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

To get you in the right frame of mind, you mower does not actually have gears as such.
It is a vari drive with a continiously variable speed.
the selector just holds the speed at a predetermined spot because some find this set up easier to use
It does this by stopping the clutch brake lever moving all the way back up.

Sit on the tractor and put it in 1st, note how high the pedal returns then put it in top and note how far the pedal returns,
Under the mower you will see a stop that is moved by the "gear" lever.
This has come loose or just plain worn down so now it stops nothing.

You wil need to get under the mower and drop the deck to gain access to these mechanisms.
I find it easier too sit the mower upright on its bum after draining the fuel tank and removing the battery both of which can leak

goosemasterkl

Threads
:welcome:
To get you in the right frame of mind, you mower does not actually have gears as such.
It is a vari drive with a continiously variable speed.
the selector just holds the speed at a predetermined spot because some find this set up easier to use
It does this by stopping the clutch brake lever moving all the way back up.

Sit on the tractor and put it in 1st, note how high the pedal returns then put it in top and note how far the pedal returns,
Under the mower you will see a stop that is moved by the "gear" lever.
This has come loose or just plain worn down so now it stops nothing.

You wil need to get under the mower and drop the deck to gain access to these mechanisms.
I find it easier too sit the mower upright on its bum after draining the fuel tank and removing the battery both of which can leak

The stop that may have come loose or worn; is it the one under the shift lever in the dash or the fwd./rev. transmission shifter? Thanks for helping me out.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is on the speed shift lever and will be under the deck.

What is under there is a double pulley but the middle bit can move up & down which changes the size of the pulleys with respect to each other.
The double pulley is called a sliding sheave and is spring loaded to always push the middle up so the belt from the engine in turning the big bit and the belt to the diff is being turned by the small so it goes at slowest speed speed.
The clutch / brake lever applies tension to the belt from the engine which is stronger than the spring in the sheave so it forces the sliding bit down to make the mower go faster.
How far this can go is controlled by the position of the "gear" lever but if that slips and the clutch/brake spring is allowed to put all the pressure on the belt the pulley will go all the way down and the mower will go at it's fastest speed.

This sounds complicated but when you get under there you will see it is quite simple.
Just some levers and springs that sit against stops that you can control with the "Gear" lever on the dash.
Down here they got silly and did some 4 speed then for an extra $ 300 you could get a 5 speed, another $ 200 got a 6 speed and the deluxe version had 7 speeds.
The only difference was the number of notches the "gear selector" could slot into.

Go to mtdparts.com/equipment/mtdparts/bolens-riding-mower-13wc762f065 and download the parts books.
Item 20 called "Speed latch" on diagram 1 is the bit that is giving you greif.

goosemasterkl

Threads
It is on the speed shift lever and will be under the deck.

What is under there is a double pulley but the middle bit can move up & down which changes the size of the pulleys with respect to each other.
The double pulley is called a sliding sheave and is spring loaded to always push the middle up so the belt from the engine in turning the big bit and the belt to the diff is being turned by the small so it goes at slowest speed speed.
The clutch / brake lever applies tension to the belt from the engine which is stronger than the spring in the sheave so it forces the sliding bit down to make the mower go faster.
How far this can go is controlled by the position of the "gear" lever but if that slips and the clutch/brake spring is allowed to put all the pressure on the belt the pulley will go all the way down and the mower will go at it's fastest speed.

This sounds complicated but when you get under there you will see it is quite simple.
Just some levers and springs that sit against stops that you can control with the "Gear" lever on the dash.
Down here they got silly and did some 4 speed then for an extra $ 300 you could get a 5 speed, another $ 200 got a 6 speed and the deluxe version had 7 speeds.
The only difference was the number of notches the "gear selector" could slot into.

Go to mtdparts.com/equipment/mtdparts/bolens-riding-mower-13wc762f065 and download the parts books.
Item 20 called "Speed latch" on diagram 1 is the bit that is giving you greif.

I clicked on the link you posted above and that shows me my mower; but I can't find that speed latch you're talking about. Do you know the part#. Thanks and I want you to know I appreciate your replies.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the left side is a box with 4 choices.
click on the one one that says " Operators Manuals"
That causes a container on the other side with a list of the available manuals
The 3rd & 4th bottom manuals are parts lists for 2010 & 2011.
Click on one of them and download the PDF.
In the first section "hood" there are several different arangements because MTC sell this mower under 12 different brands and the parts book covers all of them.
The part is basically the same in all variations and it will hook into parts shown in the transmission section.
The importan thing is to look at the picture so you know what you are looking at when you get under the mower.
Most likely one of the bolts is loose and it is allowing the other part to slip off the Speed latch.
It will be apparent once you are under the mower.

goosemasterkl

Threads
On the left side is a box with 4 choices.
click on the one one that says " Operators Manuals"
That causes a container on the other side with a list of the available manuals
The 3rd & 4th bottom manuals are parts lists for 2010 & 2011.
Click on one of them and download the PDF.
In the first section "hood" there are several different arangements because MTC sell this mower under 12 different brands and the parts book covers all of them.
The part is basically the same in all variations and it will hook into parts shown in the transmission section.
The importan thing is to look at the picture so you know what you are looking at when you get under the mower.
Most likely one of the bolts is loose and it is allowing the other part to slip off the Speed latch.
It will be apparent once you are under the mower.

I finally found what section you was trying to get me to before you e-mailed me back. One question; do I need the speed latch with or without RMC as it's listed in the illustrated parts list. What is RMC anyway? Thanks again very much for replying back with this info.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No at this point in time you have no idea what if anything needs replacing
But you need to be able to recoginse what your are looking at.
Now you know what the speed latch looks like, find it under the mower.
It will vary how far one of the levers connected the the clutch/brake pedal can move.
What is happening is under the mower the clutch/brake mechanism is not locking onto the speed latch and more than likely it will be nothing more than a loose bolt
So get the mower up in the air and have a good look.

I can't come through the wires and do the job myself
And because there are 1/2 dozen variations of that drive I can not tell you to fold flap A under tab B and turn nut C three times.
IF you do as suggested and stand the unit up vertical and are still having problems you can take a few photos, WITH THE CAMERA ON SOME SORT OF A STAND so it is in focus.
Once done there will be 50 people on here who can tell you what to do.
MTD has been using this system in various forms for at least 30 years.
It is not difficult once you understand how it works and then see it in action
Slipping your smart phone on the ground under the mower most times is less than useless.