Question about buying non-running mowers to repair.

tiresharkdbb

Threads
I learned how to completely tear down and rebuild a lawnmower engine a few years ago, and since then have used that knowledge to diagnose and repair several of my own mowers, as well as some of my friends mowers. I have accumulated a modest collection of spare parts (frames/starters/etc.) from tearing down blown engines.

I've recently been looking at craigslist and noticing a lot of people trying to get rid of non-running mowers, sometimes for free, and sometimes for money. It seems to me (and this is something that most of you guys would probably know better than me) that if an engine isn't locked up, there is a pretty good chance of getting it going again, if you have the time to mess with it. Is that a safe assumption?

For instance, today there was a john deere mower in good shape with a 22hp kohler that cranks but wont start, for $150. I wouldn't pay that much, but i might go $100 on it based on the assumption that if it cranks, then there is a really good chance i could get it started. I figure the worst case would be needing a new carb if the carb was the issue (and if a cleaning didnt solve the issue), since that's probably the most expensive item of the things that could prevent it from starting.

Again, it seems to me that if an engine spins freely, then it's just a matter of electrical/air/spark/fuel... which generally aren't high dollar items, even if you had to replace the malfunctioning part.

Free mowers aren't an issue, because i'm out nothing to try and get it going, but i thought i would get your guys opinions before i started paying money for non-running mowers.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just because it turns over does not mean it does not have major issues. Bearing bad rings shot cam lobes not right. You just have to know when to walk away if you are paying for it. Or how much to pay for it for parts you may need.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Carbs for twins can be really expensive like $200 or more.

tiresharkdbb

Threads
Good info blaznt, i didnt know carbs could be that expensive. I'll keep these things in mind.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Rule of thumb
If a bare mower ( no engine ) sells for the same or nearly the same price , go for it .
If it is too expensive a repair then put it back up for sale.
Hang a sheet down a wall and about 2' onto the ground , push the mower over that and take your photos with the sheet as a background.

Engines are small so don't take up much space so you might consider looking for old engines that have been pulled and rebuilding them rather that trying to flog an entire mower.
I shift a lot more rebuilt engines than I do complete mowers.
Or offer an engien replacement service.
that was how Bert started off, because a lot of people really liked their old mower and were happy to pay to get a recon engine fitted to it rather than spend forever trying to find a replacement.