Toro Rear Drive Mower Issue Resolved

wemo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm posting this just in case it might help someone else: I have an older Toro Super Recycler II mower, rear drive. I was getting no power to the left wheel. After joining this forum and searching for answers, none seemed to fit my situation, though the problems described were similar. The forum suggested that the drive belt to the transmission may need to be replaced; mine was tight. The forum suggested that the gear in the left drive wheel may be trashed; mine was intact. Turning the axle on the left side (wheel removed) turned the axle on the right side in the opposite direction, so the differential was okay. So I replaced the pinion gears on the axles (both sides) and the little metal inserts (called rocking keys) that slide into the slots on the axles (both sides) and have a little finger that fits into the plastic bushing. Still no joy! Since the gear on the axle shaft turned freely, I wondered how the axle supplied power to the gear. Obviously, something had to engage one of the three slots in the axle (pinion) gear. So I took out the rocking key, scraped the crud out of the slot in the axle and the plastic bushing, reinserted the rocking key, then lifted it up into one of the slots in the axle gear with a small slot screwdriver and moved the axle. Wallah!! Drive to the axle! I lubricated the rocking key area with a light lubricant that allowed it to move freely. My mower now drives on both sides. Looking back, I probably did not have to replace the pinion gears nor the rocking keys, just to have cleaned and lubed them so the keys move freely up and down in the axle slots into the pinion gear slots to act as, for want of a better term, centrifugal clutches. Hope this helps somebody else.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would have also replaced the black rubber clutch washer and white clutch plate. They do wear and contribute to the problem you had.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I'm going to move this over to our Toro section. :smile:

drborsos

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm posting this just in case it might help someone else: I have an older Toro Super Recycler II mower, rear drive. I was getting no power to the left wheel. After joining this forum and searching for answers, none seemed to fit my situation, though the problems described were similar. The forum suggested that the drive belt to the transmission may need to be replaced; mine was tight. The forum suggested that the gear in the left drive wheel may be trashed; mine was intact. Turning the axle on the left side (wheel removed) turned the axle on the right side in the opposite direction, so the differential was okay. So I replaced the pinion gears on the axles (both sides) and the little metal inserts (called rocking keys) that slide into the slots on the axles (both sides) and have a little finger that fits into the plastic bushing. Still no joy! Since the gear on the axle shaft turned freely, I wondered how the axle supplied power to the gear. Obviously, something had to engage one of the three slots in the axle (pinion) gear. So I took out the rocking key, scraped the crud out of the slot in the axle and the plastic bushing, reinserted the rocking key, then lifted it up into one of the slots in the axle gear with a small slot screwdriver and moved the axle. Wallah!! Drive to the axle! I lubricated the rocking key area with a light lubricant that allowed it to move freely. My mower now drives on both sides. Looking back, I probably did not have to replace the pinion gears nor the rocking keys, just to have cleaned and lubed them so the keys move freely up and down in the axle slots into the pinion gear slots to act as, for want of a better term, centrifugal clutches. Hope this helps somebody else.

My problem was similar. My Toro pulled to the left. The bad part was the left white washer clutch, replacement solved the problem

fgi3

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would have also replaced the black rubber clutch washer and white clutch plate. They do wear and contribute to the problem you had.

New to the forum, great support, and thanks to all who share your experiences and suggestions !!!

I have a Toro model 20099 SuperRecycler, and also had the left wheel drive failure.
I actually found a rebuild kit for all washers e-clips, friction rings, clutch washers, etc. outboard from the "pivot arm" (sold as a kit by Killians Online out of North Carolina). And replaced both wheels since they had cracks and were probably about to break anyway.

I noticed on my drive, the white plastic 'clutch washers' that the 'rocking pins' fit into, were almost half the thickness of the new replacements. Strangely, the rubber 'friction rings' were not showing much for wear. I have alot of red clay dust and dirt wearing on my parts.

Can anyone help, the Toro Power Mower Drive System Srvc Manual (for my Wheel Pinion Clutch, Rocking Key Style) indicates a step before putting all the pieces back on the drive shaft, to "...make sure all parts are clean and coated with new grease." Does anyone know if that includes greasing the surface faces of the rubber 'friction ring' & white plastic 'clutch washer' faces ? So all surfaces ? Besides being a dirt-magnet (for my abrasive red clay dust) kinda seems that might cause unwanted slipping, where you want that bit of "friction" ????
Thanks for your thoughts....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Adding a thin coat of grease to both the clutch washer and pivot washer is advisable. Over greasing is a major problem with this drive, and in your case I would advise you to check and clean the system every other month. I have the same system, clean and check every year. It is on a 1992 unit and have only changed those washers twice.