Fire breathing dragon of a Kohler Courage!

cmw

Threads
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOjGareyhA3mzq5ZH4IAWmA

What can cause the behavior shown in the videos I posted? Basically the thing drank oil. Someone suggested that one of the head gaskets had let go allowing it to suck air from the crankcase and run lean as well as lots and lots of oil to burn. By burn, I don't mean smoke. I mean FLAMES! It would smoke for a bit when cold but once warmed up, it was mostly fire. I have some videos of this too.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the probem with You tube.
Every idiot moron ego maniac gets on there searching for their 10 sec of fame.:thumbdown:
As you deliberately decided to blow up the engine in search of a bit of titlation and glory ( well in your own mind at least ) you obviously have no intention of fixing the mower you are just using this forum to boost your own pathetic ego.:mur:
So now you want to know how to dliberately make more egines do the same thing so you can continue to play to your equally pathetic moronic audience.:thumbdown:
Almost any 1/2 wit can make an engine do that and if you think any one on hesr is going to help you repeat your juvenille infantile stunts you are grossly mistaken.
GO try and impress some of your intellectual peers at the local elementry school.

cmw

Threads
Well thanks for the "friendly" reply. By the time I had this happen I was pretty sick of all the issues and didn't care about repairing it. I am curious as to what caused the issue to start with. I vote for bad head gasket. I checked the flywheel key and it was fine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
well it was your mower and you have the right to do with it what you want. no matter how greedy ,selfish , self indulgent. wreckless, stupid or moronic it was.
However this is a self help forum where we help those who need help with their mowers not help with their moral & social conscience.

We walk dissabled veterans through a lot more difficult repairs than yours would have needed .
We help single mums with no soles on their shoes to revive deceased mowers.
We get funtionally illeterate people to do complicated repairs one bolt at a time if needed.
We even help people to start up and run repair businesses who have little to no idea of what they are doing.
However I for one have no time for some one who thinks it is funny to deliberately destroy an easily repairable mower and to post it on face book and I doubt any one else here would have the time either
I matured out of demolition derbys when I was about 12.
Your videos were obviously shot over several sessions by the parts that were slowly dissapearing and deforming so it was not an accident it was deliberate and then you have to go and post it .

Kohler have all thei engine manuals available on line download one & read it.

cmw

Threads
well it was your mower and you have the right to do with it what you want. no matter how greedy ,selfish , self indulgent. wreckless, stupid or moronic it was.
However this is a self help forum where we help those who need help with their mowers not help with their moral & social conscience.

We walk dissabled veterans through a lot more difficult repairs than yours would have needed .
We help single mums with no soles on their shoes to revive deceased mowers.
We get funtionally illeterate people to do complicated repairs one bolt at a time if needed.
We even help people to start up and run repair businesses who have little to no idea of what they are doing.
However I for one have no time for some one who thinks it is funny to deliberately destroy an easily repairable mower and to post it on face book and I doubt any one else here would have the time either
I matured out of demolition derbys when I was about 12.
Your videos were obviously shot over several sessions by the parts that were slowly dissapearing and deforming so it was not an accident it was deliberate and then you have to go and post it .

Kohler have all thei engine manuals available on line download one & read it.

The engine had given me lots of little issues and I was honestly just sick of it so not too worried about fixing it. There was obviously an issue with the governor gear, among other internal components. Sure, I could have done a complete teardown and rebuild of an engine known for having problems but I could also find a much better used engine (Kohler Command) for not much more than scrap value. Sure, it needed some work but it was SIMPLE stuff. I found the engine on a junk mower and could tell it had compression by turning the flywheel by hand. I had to clean the carb out and change the spark plug but after that it runs great and doesn't use a drop of oil or do anything else like this. Certain parts for that Courage were also quite costly. Honestly I was mad at the engine and didn't care. I know how to repair these as much as others here. I didn't do any exploratory work on this one because I wasn't going to spend money fixing a structurally flawed engine. I did some research and found all the problems people were having with them before coming to that conclusion. Why not have some fun filming the fire breathing dragon? The engine wasn't economically repairable. The entire line was flawed from the start so it would be like dumping money into a Yugo or other low quality auto instead of just replacing it. I suspect the replacement Kohler Command I got for $10 (I bought the entire mower as junk and only wanted the engine) will be a much better unit than this one.

The thing never had much power and was about as gutless as they come by the end. It was time for it to be replaced anyway.