Mustang RZT50 model# 128976 2006 model Safety switch problem

jeremymalin

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Mustang RZT50 model# 128976 2006 model Safety switch problem
So my mower all of a sudden will not start. I am getting the light on the left console that relates to the blades. As if the PTO button is pulled up, which it is not. I have removed the PTO switch, cleaned it and put it back in. Also I can hear the "click" from the clutch when I push and pull the PTO switch. I can arc the starter solenoid over and get the mower to run and cut just fine. Today i noticed that what I assume is the seat switch may have somehow come unplugged. I could not locate a second wire. Also I tried putting the single wire I could find on both terminals as shown int he picture but this didn't matter. I doubted it would because the circuit isn't closed. So. is the seat switch the issue? Where is my missing second wire at?

IMG_1232.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Mustang RZT50 model# 128976 2006 model Safety switch problem
:welcome:

That seat switch is a magneto earth switch so the frame is the other "wire",
It kills the engine not the starter.
On the solenoid there should be 1 or 2 small terminals near the base.
One will be the 12V start signal the other is a ground wire which may or may not go through a few relays.
As the blades engaged warning light is on I would go with a faulty PTO switch.
You should be able to get an Owners manual from MTD web site which has the wiring diagram in the back.
Try using some patch leads ( small jumpers ) to bypass the PTO switch
Pull ff the magneto kill wire at the engine plug just in case you accidently send 12V down the kill wire aas it will fry the module.
The PTO switch has 2 power feeds. One is connected to the S ( should be marked on the switch ) terminal on the ignition switch S=Start
The other will come from an A or L terminal, these provide the power for the clutch.
All the other wires are magneto kill wires, 1 3 or 5 of them depending upon the actual switch used and should all be black, green or brown.