Need help adding a "kill/Panic button to my old lawn tractor

bubster

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Need help adding a "kill/Panic button to my old lawn tractor
Hello all, I have an old Craftsman 2 lawn tractor, 14 hp. I believe it is from 1984, anyhow, I really like the old thing and use it a lot. I would like to add a kill/panic or emergency stop switch since it has none. Maintenance guys at the shop suggested it, so I bought one of the push button with the red "mushroom" top that you push in for an emergency and turn it to reset it kind, one side has normally closed contacts and the other is normally open. I know absolutely nothing about wiring this in but would like to try to. If some kind soul could help me out to get this wired in correctly, I would greatly appreciate it, but please keep in mind I am not very experienced at this type of thing but want to learn. I did download the manual for this tractor and the model number is 917.255813 if this helps....Thank you.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
More than happy to help. But why add a kill switch when you already have one? The key. It will add some complexity to your system. When trouble shooting it will be an added issue to work through.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:
Switch should be wired normally open and close when you push it.
It gets wired into the magneto kill wire ,
If this is an old mower that has the kill on the ignition switch then you can wire it onto the bolt on the throttle control plate that will already have a wire or two on it.

bubster

Forum Newbie
Threads
:welcome:
Switch should be wired normally open and close when you push it.
It gets wired into the magneto kill wire ,
If this is an old mower that has the kill on the ignition switch then you can wire it onto the bolt on the throttle control plate that will already have a wire or two on it.

Thank you, will give this a shot.