Problem re-attaching tension spring to mower deck Idler arm after removal

HampY

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Problem re-attaching tension spring to mower deck Idler arm after removal
I have a Troy Bilt Pony riding mower with a 42 inch deck (model 13WM77K2011 with date of manufacturer 5/2015). I purchased the mulching kit and have been installing it today.

However, when attempting to reattach the deck to the mower, I am having difficulty re-attaching the PTO cable tension spring to the Idler arm. I had difficulty getting it off during removal of the deck but have been unable to re-hook it after 2 hours of trying. There does not seem to be enough clearance between the bracket and the deck.

Does anyone have an suggestion or a trick that might help? I have looked at every video on the Troy Bilt site and every You Tube video which seemed to have any relevance but none has any specific views or suggestions.

sjessen

Threads
Some guys use a piece of rope or a cord to pull the spring over the mounting post. In some cases a wrench can be use to leverage the hook of the spring.

NorthBama

Threads
I attach the spring before inserting the hitch pin that holds the cable to the deck

possum

Threads
I remember having trouble with it. Wish I could remember just what I did to get it hooked. Seems like I slid it out a ways hooked it after a struggle and then slid it back under and pulled the cable into the bracket and then pinned it.

slapshot

Threads
I use an old drum brake tool that has a hook on one end. You can hook the end of the spring on the hook and pull it on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Same story. a length of heavy wire about 3' long with a hook on the end and secured to an old tube spannar the other ehd as a handle.
The handle needs to be fairly big so you can comfortably pull on it hard.
Sit behind the mower with a foot against each wheel ,not the most delicate posture but less likley to injure your back.
Hook the tool over the spring then lay backwards stretching the spring over the post.