How to tighten drive belt on my JD D140 lawn tractor

RonaldHMcGee

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 5 year old John Deere D140 Lawn Tractor recently slipped the upper drive belt where it slid above the rear pulley and in between the pulley and in between that and the fan blade that sits on top of that pulley. It actually became wedged in between the two but after manipulating the belt out and getting it back onto the pulley in the right location, I have found that somehow the belt became seriously loose and needs to be tightened. My problem is I can't seem to find out where to find the tightening screw/bolt. I've looked everywhere under the tractor and I can't find the adjusting bracket. I've also looked all over the internet trying to find the answer as well as looked at all of the diagrams online but I still can't seem to find the answer. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. Thanks, Ron McGee

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

There is no adjustment which is why you can not find how to do it.
The only adjustment is on the actual brake, not the clutch.
Check that nothing is preventing the clutch tensioning arm swinging its full arc
Check that the spring mounting points are in good condition & not flogged out,
Have a close look at the engine, gearbox and idler pulleys and in particular the V pulleys.
If the V is a funny shape or the bottom of the V groove is polished indicating that the belt has been running there, replace the pulleys.
Once the belt has jumped, it will be damaged and will continue to do that so replace it as well