Is used Toro MX5060 a good choice?

Bob Es

Threads
First off, great site, kudos to all that offer their expertise! I am looking to upgrade my 18 year old Troy-built 42" lawn tractor... I mow just under an acre, but I bag leaves for weeks in the fall so a bagger is a must. I started looking at new, but was shown a used 2012 Toro MX5060 with a bagger for 2200. The dealer claimed the 186 hrs was considered "low" hours. It appears to be in good condition. I do not really want to spend more than $3000 and it seems like a new one with a bagger is going to be much more. Any input on this used one or a suggestion for one in my price range would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remember I cannot see the condition of what you are talking about, so you are going to have to be the judge. That unit with a bagger will definitely run over 3K new. Here are the questions you will need answers for before making a decision.

1. Have you (the dealer) gone through this unit to make it ready for the season? Yes, good----- No, beware
2. Check the condition of all belts. New, good----- Glazed, cracked, dirty, beware
3. Check the condition of the blades. Sharp, good----- dull, dirty, beware
4. Look under the deck. Clean, good----- dirty, beware
5. Drive the unit. Does it go in a straight line without constant handle adjustment, good---- wanders, beware
6. Drive the unit. 4 year old engine should sound like new.
7. Drive the unit with blades turning. Spindles should have no whine or excess noise.
8. Tires on a 4 year old unit should be in good condition.
9. Any chipping and scratches to the paint can indicate abuse.
10. Any oil under engine. Big beware
11. Any dealer warranty, good dealers selling good machines will give you something if they the unit is in good shape.
12. Look closely at the entire bagger system, worn bags beware.
13. Drive the unit, it should sound and feel solid.
14. Max I would offer 2100 if I said beware one or two times, 1900 if I said beware three or four times, 1500 if five or more.
15. Do you trust the dealer. Yes, good---- ???, beware
16. Finally what does your gut say, it's 85% reliable.
17. Let your better half read this and see the unit, sorry but they are 85% reliable also.
18. Just my opinion, many around here say it ain't worth much, GOOD LUCK

Bob Es

Threads
Rivets,

Thanks for your great response... I'm pretty leery of going used, I'm going to explore something new I think. Do you have any thoughts on the tight turning Craftsman tractors or the Cub Cadet zero turn with the steering wheel? Any other brand would be helpful also...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is going to get me in trouble with a lot of the members, but you asked. In my opinion, stay away from any unit manufactured by MTD and Husqvarna. I don't feel the quality for the price is there. This will include most models sold by the big box stores. Buying new, with a bagger, will definitely be over your 3K budget if you want something to last over 5 years. The lower end units will need high maintance costs after that time. If you do your homework, you should be able to find a good used unit in your budget, but it may take time. I'm sure there will be more than a few members who are going to rip me for these comments, but you asked and I answered based on my experience in the repair industry.

retfr8flyr

Threads
Bob, I don't know if you would be interested in it but Hustler is currently offering 0% 48 month financing on their mowers. Maybe this could increase your budget, to put you into a new machine. I just got a new Raptor SD 48 and I am very happy with it. Hustler makes very good products.

Brucebotti

Threads
Personally I feel that is a good deal. I have a 2013 MX5060 with just over 100 hrs. 186 is low hours. Assuming that the 2012 is the same as the 2013, you should have the Kawasaki Engine; a fabricated deck, and serviceable hydro units. I consider the MX5060 to be a high end residential / low end commercial unit. I paid $3,800 +/- without the bagger. Assuming that you follow Rivets advice for checking it out I think it is a great deal. Just my $.02 and worth every penny..:smile:
Bruce
PS I mow an acre of relatively flat lawn with about 10 trees, a shed, plantings, etc.