Engine new flywheel problem kohler 25 hp

jimevanssr

Forum Newbie
Threads
my mower was not charging. when I pulled the flywheel, the magnets had become dislodged and got chewed up on the stator...I cannot buy just new magnets,so I purchased a new flywheel..the problem is the new flywheel is not an exact kind as the old one..my old kohler part # is 24-025-14-s....it cannot be found anymore..... the new replacement is the same diameter,but the hole is slightly larger,so that it rides to low on the shaft and wont move when bolted down....some one suggested that I make a shim out of a feeler guage to take up the difference....does any one have any sugeestions ? the engine info is model # cv 725s spec #69540 serial# 3030102131.....thanks, jim

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the magnets off the new to you flywheel and put them on old flywheel. They must be mounted in the exact placement as the old ones. Plenty of youtube videos on how it is done.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Dumped your engine numbers into a model search and came up with a different number which is available
jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/kohler-engine/command-pro-twin-ch-cv17-25-ch-cv620-750/cv725/cv725-69540-25-hp-18-61-kw/ignition-electrical-5-24-460
Kohler have been using the same flywheel casting for decades.
It does get confusing.
The command enines have a thinner crankshaft because it is a high strength forginging which was too expensive for Joe Public who only want cheap so on the residential mowers they used a malliable iron crankshaft which is no where near as strong as the forging so it is thicker.
This is the major difference between the Command & Courage engines.
You have been supplied with a courage flywheel which has the thicker crank so a bigger hole.

NEVER EVER ATTEMPT TO SHIM A TAPPER IT WILL END IN TEARS AND EVEN VERY SERIOUS INJURY