No power when cold - runs great after it warms up

metallicpea

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I have an issue that has stumped my local repair shop for years. Also, I did not see my issue mentioned here or online anywhere.

I have a Toro 6.5 GTS personal pace mower walk behind from around 2004. I love this mower and it has been great for a very long time. I believe the engine is a Tecumseh.

Over the last few years - after a service, it started a new issue. It starts up just fine and seems to run normal until you put any load, even a half a strip of grass and it dies. If I run it for awhile - maybe 5 min, once it is hot it has all the power it normally had and works perfectly.

I did quite a bit of research, and tried several things with absolutely no improvement. I cleared the gas cap vent, replaced the coil, cleaned the carb, and of course I keep it tuned and oil changed regularly.

Anything else I should consider? Perhaps the governor? Can it be cleaned or replaced? I would love to get this thing back to start and mow condition.

Thanks in advance.

Mikel1

Threads
Did they check the valve lash?

metallicpea

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would assume not. I didn't pay for anything except a cleaning, blade sharpen spark plug, air filter and oil change, but they did spend awhile checking their work after I got it back and it started acting up. Could they have messed something up? or it just might be normal wear and the cause of the issue?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Governor shaft and/or throttle shaft is carb sticky and not moving freely, then loosens up when the engine warms up.

metallicpea

Forum Newbie
Threads
Governor shaft and/or throttle shaft is carb sticky and not moving freely, then loosens up when the engine warms up.

This sounds promising. I will dig deeper.

If I manually bring up the rpm by turning the governor at the block, it runs better fairly quick, but I thought it was just because it gets the engine up to temp faster. If I just rotate once or twice, it still dies upon load.

Last edited: