Mulching kit to cut down on dust

Threads
I've got a lot of sand around here, it's a maintenance nightmare and a trip to the shop with my FasTrak 54" that's only got 88 hours on it shows that even with diligent attention I'm going to have to do everything I can to cut down on dust/sand intake. Would the mulch kit cut down on the dust storm I create any at all? I mow about 4 of my six acres...weekly when the growing season (which is long here in East Texas) is going strong; less frequently as the Summer sucks the life outta everything.

Thanks,
Rodney

neetan

Threads
Hi Rodney,

My neighbor at the old house used the stuff you put in bed liners on trucks to reduce the wear and tear on the deck. Just a thought.

Cheers,:cool:

turboawd

Threads
I'm mostly concerned with keeping dust out of the intake.

well you have a filter, so no sand should be getting inside the intake.
take off the filter once in a while and knock off the dirt. you could also install a foam filter cover, and see if that helps.
or if you can modify the intake to install one of those swirling pre cleaners that spin the dust out of the air. not sure what they're called.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

If it does not already have one get the commercial Donaldson filter.
That is what is fitted standard to a lot of commercial mowers and just about every skid steer.
Aftermarket outer filers are quite cheap and nothing gets past the inner.
Because they are used commercially and genuine Donaldson filters elemets are expensive they can be dry cleaned about 10 to 20 times.
However down here that cost $ 19 and a Stens outer is $ 25 so if you are not changing them daily as happens with demolition not really viable.
But do buy a couple of extra outers .
Usually my commercial customers go 4-6 outers for every inner.
You can tap the outers to clean them but neve ever use compressed air,
When you see discoloration on the inside of the inner it is time to change it.

The kits are usually mounted on the blower housing but find another spot, bracket on the rop for instance.
The higher up the cleaner the air and being on the blower housing makes removing the housing a PIA so you never bother to do a fin clean and will be back on here asking how to replace a moving valve guide .:mur:

Threads
I had my mower in the shop for oil usage, they couldn't find anything wrong with it other than the intake was dirty, they seemed to think I wasn't changing filters enough. The manual says change every 200 hours, more often if conditions warrant and shake out between uses. I've got 88 hours on my mower and it now has the 5th filter on it and I do shake it out after every use. I was just trying to think of anything that might help keep the dust down some..........mowing earlier in the day probably helps, but you then have the issue of clogging from wet grass. I've considered modifying the intake in some fashion, but since the engine is still under warranty and Kawasaki is VERY specific about not modifying things to non-original, that's kinda outta the mix as a viable answer (for the next 2 years or 312 hours).

I have the foam pre-filter on my paper element and that's all that Kawasaki approves/recommends.

Thanks for all the suggestions,
Rodney

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
kawakasi fit Donaldone filters as an OEM option to all of their commercial engines.
They are fitted as standard to the FX series
see their web page kawasakienginesusa.com put the w's in yourself
They offer the kit as an option on the other series engines.
Very few fit it because it is expensive and customers will decide on a mower for as little as $ 1 cheaper price.