Oil Filter Heatsink

funflyer

Threads
Have any of you guys tried one? I was thinking of testing one to see how much of a difference it could make on actual oil temps. The one in the picture is supposed to have a 3" ID and the oil filter on a Kohler mic'd at 2.8". The two bolts they have to hold it on seem kind of cheezy and might cause more problems so I figured I would split the heatsink (yellow line) and tap for two screws (red lines) so the unit can be snugged up completely around the filter. Couldn't hurt, right?

sink.jpg

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Use full synthetic Amsoil oil and you don't have to worry about oil temperature.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it does not make contact all the way around the filter it will do nothing except maybe make it hotter as it restricts air flow to the filter.

funflyer

Threads
Use full synthetic Amsoil oil and you don't have to worry about oil temperature.

That's my plan as soon as the engine is out of warranty.

If it does not make contact all the way around the filter it will do nothing except maybe make it hotter as it restricts air flow to the filter.

That's why I will split the heatsink and use bolts that are perpendicular to the filter so it will snug up and make contact all the way around the circumference of the filter.

funflyer

Threads
Installed the heatsink. After installing the bolts in the opposite direction it fits nice and snug around the entire filter. Might not make that much difference but it definitely won't hurt. Probably will work better once I start using a taller filter.

vhzsj9.jpg

30sycjl.jpg