Echo SRM 3800 issues with head getting hot

primerbulb120

Threads
My point is that it can not be melting the string when it has the spool it has to travel through and the spool is not melting.

It sounds like the bump knob is melting though.
We bought a metal blade head for it since the string would not work but as I was using it today, and not for a long period of time, it got so hot, the whole head came off. The nut that holds it on was still attached, it just got so hot that it melted the plastic head around the nut.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sounds like the bump knob is melting though.

Lord how did I miss that? Irilly read that thread 3 times and it just did not register with me at all. I have got to do better with this.

Sorry to all for the bad answers!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
get infra red temp gun reading and share?

Unforgiven

Forum Newbie
Threads
I really don't get how the string would be melting but not the spool either. This same string has been used on a smaller echo and used to cut the same weeds and no issues at all so that is why I don't think the string is the issue.

What are you calling the bump knob? Is that the piece that you hit to feed the string out?

Ty for the replies so far.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
OMG it's the line fusing together.
Most times from not letting enough line out

upupandaway

Threads
I really don't get how the string would be melting but not the spool either. This same string has been used on a smaller echo and used to cut the same weeds and no issues at all so that is why I don't think the string is the issue.

What are you calling the bump knob? Is that the piece that you hit to feed the string out?

Ty for the replies so far.

I had a homelite many moons ago. The strings also melted together when the bushing was going bad. The head being made of higher temp plastic- not quite the type an ashtray would be made of, but higher temp\harder than the string plastic is my guess.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
According to the recycling code on the inside the heads they are High Density Polly Ethylene ( HDPE )
From there you get variations in the ratio of HDPE to fillers and they type of fillers used to bulk out the plastic.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
So to melt the head it takes 250 f or higher
"can withstand somewhat higher temperatures (120 °C/ 248 °F for short periods, 110 °C /230 °F continuously)"
Like one of the last post said check you bearings.