Hard to Satrt then shuts downs in 1-2 minutes

Grasshopper1036

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hard to Start then shuts downs in 1-2 minutes

I have a Kohler Courage 22 Model #SV715 (Spec # is SV715-0027). I have put New Coils on and it still is very hard to start. Someone mentioned the Solenoid on the Carburetor. I have not looked into this. How do I know if this is bad?

Is there anything else I need to look at?

I am getting tired of push mowing my 1.5acres of grass.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The easiest thing to do is to turn the key on and off and listen to see if you can hear it clicking.

funflyer

Threads
How does it run in those 2 minutes before it shuts down? Just a WAG but I'd say the carb or fuel pump, if it has one, is plagued from ethanol from sitting over the winter.

Grasshopper1036

Forum Newbie
Threads
So here is an update but no changes.

Removed and cleaned Carb, Removed pin on Carb Solenoid put in new Spark Plugs.

The fuel pump seems to be pumping as I can take the gas line off at the pump and when I turn the key over to start gas is pumped out.

Still same results. Runs for about 15-20 sec then dies and becomes hard to start. When it runs it runs very smooth. Do not know what else to do.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Restart the engine and then when it dies, let it set for a few minutes until things cool off. and then loosen or remove the fuel solenoid and see if there is fuel in the carb. I am wondering if the pump isn't still shutting down.

Grasshopper1036

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did as ILENGINE asked to check if Gas in bowl after Engine shuts down and there is not.

So I am guessing this means I need to put on a new fuel Pump?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Something to check before replacing fuel pump. Pull the line off between the carb, and the fuel pump and look down the center and also feel along its length for sponginess. the newer fuel lines have a plastic inner liner for emissions purposes that will come loose and close the fuel line off. Also make sure there isn't something choking off the fuel coming from the tank. Could get over the outlet hole and kill fuel flow.

Grasshopper1036

Forum Newbie
Threads
The line you are talking about I replaced on Sunday just to make sure that was not a problem.

I do not see anything in the fuel tank blocking the pick up line. I replaced the Fuel Filter when all of this started so it is only about a month old. Now I have NOT replaced the other 2 Fuel lines, meaning from Fuel pump to Fuel Filter or from Fuel Filter to tank.

Do these need to be replaced as well? If so should I do those when I replace the Fuel Pump? Also what about the 3rd line on the fuel pump? Is that a vacuum line or what? It goes straight down out of fuel pump and is about 2" long.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The third line on the fuel pump is the vacuum impulse line, which is what makes the pump work. You may not need to replace the lines, but can feel down their length for soft spots. If the inner liner comes loose the line will get very soft and spongy in that area. Any area that you may have clamped the fuel line off while working on the system are good spots to double check.

If the fuel lines check out, and the impulse line is in good shape with no cracks then replace the fuel pump at that point.