hustler using kohler engines now?

turboawd

Threads
i see hustler uses kohler 7000 series engines now on at least the raptor models.
i'm not a fan of this decision, after my past experience with kohlers.
what do you guys think of this move?

michigan_Rapter sd

Threads
i see hustler uses kohler 7000 series engines now on at least the raptor models.
i'm not a fan of this decision, after my past experience with kohlers.
what do you guys think of this move?

had a craftsman lt2000 for about 20 years of hard use winter and summer before it developed a crack by one of the crank seals, also had a 1966 simplicity that was still going strong when the transaxel broke in 2 after 35 years - so I took a chance on a new raptor sp with the kohler. about the only complaint I have ever had with them is they are louder than any other engine we have had but I can live with loud if it is strong

kraky

Threads
From everything I have read the Kohler 7000 has a pretty decent reputation. Another thing I read that seems to make sense is the Kawasaki is refusing to be put in units that wind up in the big big box stores.
I'm not so sure the Kawasaki FR series engines are really doing super great and reliability either. I just bought a $6,000 Hustler FasTrak and they don't even foam wrap the air cleaner and its in a spot that pulls in a lot of crap. Seems like everything is done with price in mind nowadays

neetan

Threads
Kohler are not that bad! All I've had have been good to me, when I thought I had a problem I came to this site and learnt that my fuel filter was clogged. Do not underestimate the power of Kohler. LOL just kidding, my newest unit has a Honda and on top of that I just bought a Hustler!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From everything I have read the Kohler 7000 has a pretty decent reputation. Another thing I read that seems to make sense is the Kawasaki is refusing to be put in units that wind up in the big big box stores.
I'm not so sure the Kawasaki FR series engines are really doing super great and reliability either. I just bought a $6,000 Hustler FasTrak and they don't even foam wrap the air cleaner and its in a spot that pulls in a lot of crap. Seems like everything is done with price in mind nowadays

Have you only just realised that ?
Honda exited the ride on market because there were not enough people with sifficient mental capacity to do the math and work out a mower that will run faultlessly for 20+ years will work out a lot cheaper than the 1/2 price mower that will only be good for 7 to 10 years to make running the factory profitable even with the extra contract work for JD.

Ten years latter they did the same with ride on engines. Faced with the options of trashing their name by making the junk engines that the public will happily pay for or exiting the market, they again chose to leave.
Their place as the top quality engine was taken over by Kawakasi who are now doing exactly what Honda refused to do, trashing their name by building down to a price.
Even then mowers are still not cheap enough so Hustler is faced with the same problem.
Make something cheap enough to keep the factory running or exit the market.
However they don't have 25 other divisions so they are forced to make a cheaper product thus have gone for the best of the remaining lower priced engines.

There is a funny sort of mentality that is becomming stronger every year where we expect to be paid more each year for doing exactly the same thing but we expect to pay less for every thing we need.
If you think about it , It in not rational in any way shape or form, but that is the way most seem to think or rather don't actually think.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will take the kohler over the Kawasaki any day.
I have a 20 hp kohler on my toro. It came with a 24 hp Kawasaki. The kohler out performs the Kawasaki.

turboawd

Threads
well, i had a 2 year old cub cadet with a kohler that blew apart and destroyed the case. others in the cub cadet forum have had this issue also. supposedly that engine was made in china. not sure where these 7000 series are made.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Horses for courses.
Never had a major problem with any brand of engine, just annoying problems.
Single cylinder Courages can develope a crack behind the exhaust cam
Intek's blow head gaskets at the slighest provocation
kawakasai's seem to throw pushrods for the fun of it.
Honda carbs will get full of water in the middle of a desert.
However all of the new ones arn't a patch on the old ones for longevidy .
Computer modeling has come a long way and they can design engines to fail to the minute now days.
Thus they are all buit to a standard that would make Henry Ford real proud.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
well, i had a 2 year old cub cadet with a kohler that blew apart and destroyed the case. others in the cub cadet forum have had this issue also. supposedly that engine was made in china. not sure where these 7000 series are made.

I had two Kawasaki engine's on a new toro start blowing oil. Less then 200 hours. Paid out of pocket for the kohler pro.
Hydro lifters no valve adjusting I love it.

Have_Blue

Threads
Computer modeling has come a long way and they can design engines to fail to the minute now days.
Thus they are all buit to a standard that would make Henry Ford real proud.

Quality costs.

Mowers, tractors, cars... the manufacturers have to carefully balance everything and still produce at a competitive price. If there was no compromise on the machine, it would be so expensive no one would buy it. Price, quality, and sales must be balanced.