Mulching Clogging vs Non-Clogging

pgrimes@insight.rr.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have two Lawn Boys that are the subjects of my inquiry:

1) A 1999 4 cycle 4.5 HP Self-propelled Silver Series,

and

2) A 2001 2 cycle 6.5 HP Manual push Silver Pro Series.

Upon inspection, they seem to have identical steel decks, except for the drive belt openings on #1.

Mower #1 cuts and sprays clippings very well, rarely, if ever, clogging.

Mower #2 cuts very well, but clogs frequently even when cutting low grass.

I am trying to determine a reason for the differences in clogging. The only other difference seems to be that, while they have identical blades, Mower #2 also has an 8 - 10 inch diameter "Mulching Fan" attached to the drive shaft below the blade. Could this Mulching Fan contribute to Mover #2 clogging? What do you suppose would happen if I just leave the Mulching Fan off?

lewb

Threads
I have two Lawn Boys that are the subjects of my inquiry:

1) A 1999 4 cycle 4.5 HP Self-propelled Silver Series,

and

2) A 2001 2 cycle 6.5 HP Manual push Silver Pro Series.

Upon inspection, they seem to have identical steel decks, except for the drive belt openings on #1.

Mower #1 cuts and sprays clippings very well, rarely, if ever, clogging.

Mower #2 cuts very well, but clogs frequently even when cutting low grass.

I am trying to determine a reason for the differences in clogging. The only other difference seems to be that, while they have identical blades, Mower #2 also has an 8 - 10 inch diameter "Mulching Fan" attached to the drive shaft below the blade. Could this Mulching Fan contribute to Mover #2 clogging? What do you suppose would happen if I just leave the Mulching Fan off?

You answered your own question, if you want to mulch the fan does a great job. I have never ran as side discharge, I do know with out the fan the deck will clog up with clippings when mulching . Some engineer did a pretty good job designing that mulch fan.

Last edited:

unclelee

Threads
Hmm...the way I read this was the one with the fan was clogging.
Maybe you should try removing the fan and compare both mowers in the same configuration to see if there is a change.

Phototone

Threads
The mulching fan comes off easy, and you can compare. I generally run my lawnboys without the mulching fan, as I don't mulch. Both of your lawnboys should have left the factory with the mulching fan.