New head installed. Original fan shroud won't fit

medic2575

Threads
Hey guys. I have a problem that I haven't encountered yet. I just replaced the head on a 17.5 Intek due to valve guide intermittently moving in the head. Ordered a new head (OEM from Briggs) and it looks like Briggs made a change to the head and added more cooling fins to the exhaust side of the head. Now, when putting the inner blower housing back on the housing won't line up. It appears that the original blower shroud that wraps around the cooling fins on the cylinder and head needs ro be trimmed so that it wI'll fit. Has an tone ran into this and if so how did you make it fit? If the shroud has to be trimmed, will this cause inadequate airflow and overheating? The new head came with a new half shroud in the box. I rechecked my part numbers and it said that that shroud if for a different code date than mine.
Thanks for the help in advance.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Give us the model, type, and code off of your engine so we can see if there any updated information on your engine.

medic2575

Threads
I'm sorry ILENGINE. Rookie mistake and I should know better tHan posting without giving all the info.
Model
Type
0140E1
Code
001019ZD
I have changed several of these INTEK heads and have never seen a head casting that looked like this one. The part I ordered is Briggs 796026. It bolts up perfectly but it appears the casting has changed or the extra long cooling fins didn't get trimmed off in production. The final casting looks very crude and not finely milled like the usual casting. It fits perfectly except for the fact that I can't get the inner blower housing to go over or clear these new extended cooling fins.
Thank you for replying and any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
PS: I had Mt buddy at the local Briggs dealer double check my part numbers. The only difference is that an earlier code date took the supplied half shroud that was included with the head. I looked closely at three shroud and even using it, the inner blower housing will not clear and hits when attempting to slide the housing down over the fins so the cooling shroud and bolt holes will line up.

medic2575

Threads
I'm sorry. The type is 0148 E1 not 0140

medic2575

Threads
And model number was 311777 not 31777. Sorry. I'm watching my 2 year old grandson today and he had me distracted.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Picture sure would be nice.

medic2575

Threads
I thought of that. Let me see if I can figure out how to post one. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I didn't find anything about it from the briggs dealer network system. I did discover that your head had superceded like 6 times before reaching the final number that you have. So there may be a problem, and briggs hasn't addressed it yet.

medic2575

Threads
Please find attached photo. I hope it attached in a format that yall can see. The marker markings is how much would have to be removed from the cooling fins to get my blower housing to fit down over the cooling fins on the head. I contacted briggs tech support line about it. They are useless as tits on a boar hog. They pretty much told me to take it to a dealer and referee me to my friends dealer. I have already let him look at it this morning along with 2 of his other techs and there exact words were "the blower housing won't clear the fins, call briggs. This machine is repaired and ready to go out the door, if I could just get the dang blower housing back on it. I was really disappointed in the people at briggs tech support. The two guys even told me that they didn't have any knowledge in small engines. Sorta like the girl ya see at Auto Zone with the 3 inch fingernails that doesn't know a muffler from a spark plug. If the computer doesn't tell them something they are useless.

Attachments

• IMG_20160510_190507.jpg
    IMG_20160510_190507.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 6

medic2575

Threads
Additionally, I found 1 guy on the net that said he had the same problem. He ziz wheeled the fins and it fit. My fear is, the head was engineered this way for a reason (my thoughts are to create more cooling surface for these class of heads that heat up and the valve guides move). If I cut this thing is it going to cause the head to overheat? I'm at a loss.