Can these old no start Homelites be used?

ThatGuyYouKnow

Threads
Hello back again. I posted something similar to this a long time ago but i have a new question. I have 2 old Big Red Homelite Super XL's ones a auto ones not. They both wont start i heard its incredibly hard to start em. My question is can i convert these to a primer bulb? I know the bulb would be under the air filter and id have to take the cover off each time but is this possible?

ThatGuyYouKnow

Threads
Lol not exactly the answer thatll help me.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Compression, fuel, spark, timing. How are the crankcase seals ? So you are saying every time you want to start them you will need to remove the air cleaner. Maybe start with a compression test, You say you have a fuel delivery problem, are all the fuel lines and fuel filter good? What about the fuel pump which should be built into the carburetor. Are you getting a good 1/4 in. of spark. Are you using good fresh fuel? I don't know why you couldn't install a primer bulb but why under the air cleaner?

primerbulb120

Threads
Yes it's possible. You will need a new carburetor that is meant to accept a primer bulb, a primer bulb and some fuel line.

I have had chainsaws without primer bulbs before, a John Deere and a Poulan. Both started in under 6 pulls cold. I'm wondering if something might be wrong with your Homelites besides the fact that they don't have primer bulbs??

ThatGuyYouKnow

Threads
thanks guys sorry for the late reply. comp is good on both. one was to suppose to have been running but when i tried nothing. the other same thing. fuel lines and filters are good. when i first got em i looked em up and everyone said these homelites was hard starters. one guy said to remove the aircleaner and put a gas soaked rag over the carb others said pour a little gas in the carb area. i tried neither idea. i didnt know where else to put the pimer bulb unless i drill holes for the gas lines. any idea on what carbs would work? and ill try and check for spark.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are a lot of reasons why a saw will not start.
Start by using a small squirt of starter fluid down the carb throat.
It will take 2 or 3 pulls for it to make it into the cylinder and then the saw should run for a minute or so till the goop runs out.
If it keeps on running then the low speed side of the carb & choke requires attention.
If it does not start, remove the spark plug, give the cylinder a little shot of starter fluid pop in a nice fresh new plug and try again.
No joy then forget about a new carb you got bigger problems and a carb aint going to do anything other than make the spares man a few cents.

Check for spark.
If you have none then remove the cover and remove the earth lead from the coil and check for spark again
It is hard to see the spark on thses units so an inline tester will help no end.
While the cover is off check for compression by trying to spin the flywheel with your fingers.

If you have spark then remove the muffler and do the starter fliud bit again.
If it starts and runs for a short while then you have a blockage in the muffler.
While the muffler is off have a good look at the bore & rings.
If it is scored then the saw has an appointment with Simsmetal.

ThatGuyYouKnow

Threads
okay checked one this evening has gas not full tank and has good spark but not sure if its gaped right. the other has the flywheel off. ill try the steps you listed bert thanks for those. anyone know the gap for these?