Craftsman Transmission Problem

GAVolunteer

Threads
Craftsman Model 247.887760 Serial No 1D060ZG0109

When I tried to engage the transmission, the lever attached to the transmission that tightens the belt was "stuck" and would not move. I was able to manually get the lever to loosen. However, when the lever is engaged, it will not "release" so the belt stays engaged causing the wheels to turn. I have to manually push the lever for the belt to disengage.

Most mowers I've seen have a spring attached to the lever that will force the lever back so the belt is not engaged. There is no spring. I've looked on the parts list, but there there is not one listed there. There is a hole on the other end of the lever where a spring could attach, but I cannot see where the spring would attach to the underside of the deck.

Does anyone know how the lever is supposed to work? Is the lever supposed to very loose and move freely with no resistance so that the lever will disengage without a spring? The lever still has some resistance which is why it stays engaged and must be manually pushed to release the belt.

Any help would be appreciated.

See pictures below

Mower
Craftsman Mower.JPG

Drive Control and Shift Lever
Drive Contol and Shift Lever.JPG

Belt Disengaged
Belt Disengaged.JPG

Belt Disengaged Closeup.JPG

Belt Engaged
Belt Engaged-2.JPG

Belt Engaged Closeup.JPG

Hole in back of lever for spring????
Hole in Back of Lever.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Part # 732-0627A
It is in the handle. On the parts diagram it is #68
Spray lithium grease through the cable till it comes out the other end.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Blaze
are you serious
Lithium grease ?
No way it will get down the cable.
If the cable is stuck use kerrosene ( parrafin to some ) or ATF or Kroil.
Do not use WD 40 or similar as it will soften the nylon liner ( if the cable has one ).
once the cable is free go to a push bike shop & get some dry cable lubricant used for gearchange cables.
It is not cheap, but I run a workshop and only go through 1 x 2oz bottle a season, you don't need much.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yep I tape the red tube tight to one end of the cable and start spraying till I see some come out the other end. Works great.