best lawn-boy model

johns10mm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking to buy a used lawn-boy which model is best to watch for. thanks for any info jeff

unclelee

Threads
That is a matter of opinion. You should however look for one with an aluminum or magnesium deck. Avoid V series when possible... D and F series are both great engines....however the DURAFORCE is the most powerful.
A and C series are great head turners with a strong nostalgic appeal.
There are as many different opinions of which is the best modle as there are lawnboy owners...so you would have to figure out what you want from from your mower...example...self propelled, or push....daily driver or restoration. Then when you get an Idea, we could point you in the direction of a good modle for you.
Lee

unclelee

Threads
I would recommend a Gold Series with either a F series or Duraforce engine.
If you want to dig deep then a commercial Duraforce like a 22261 would be great.
But don't discount other modles...just show us what you find.
Lee

TexF18

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1994 4.5hp gold series its a great mower. I just picked up a 22261 model in rough shape. Once i get the deck powder coated and cleaned up it will be my main mower. I wanted more horsepower since my 4.5hp stalls when mulching grass above the deck.

lewb

Threads
I have a dura force 10547 with magnesium deck and a M- Series 10590 that is kind of a special build mower with a square deck set up to be a rear bagger and mulcher (1993). The M-series is a 5 hp and does cut probably the best of the 2. The dura force is a beast compared to the M, Its also lighter. I have a pretty good hill to climb and the 10547 goes right up with little effort. The mower when loaded will settle into a nice hum and power through pretty much anything you throw at it. The m-series does not have the same power. Also a dura force you can find parts, that are reasonably priced.

Last edited:

johns10mm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've seen a couple of yellow tops on craigs list around here all they say is there special promos. any info on them

unclelee

Threads
Those were made in 1980 and 81, metal deck machines.
Parts should be readily available.....not a premier lawnboy...but good engine.
I would hold out for a different modle unless they run good and you could get them cheap.
Lee

beg

Threads
the one I prefer is model 10323 dura force motor single speed bail type trans steel deck if maintained properly will last a long time

jp1961

Threads
I have two 10323's, a 10547 and a 8481AE. The 8481AE is probably my least favorite L.B. mainly due to I'm 6'3", have long legs and always knock my knee into the long low handle design. Stick with a DuraForce L.B. The 10323 are great mowers, light even with the stamped steel deck and able to climb VERY steep inclines. They were sold everywhere (big box stores, Tractor Supply Co. even Meijers sold them), so they can be found on Craigslist for as little as 20.00.

Jeff

Last edited: