Which Super Recycler to buy?

stljay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks,

So after several visits to some local dealers, looking at CR and reading reviews, I'm down to the Toro SR. We also got to run a spin stop model around the parking lot at the dealer. It seemed ridiculously simple to operate, compact and balanced. It moved forward and backward freely. We demoed a 2-3 year old mower. My 13 old son also liked it the best. He might even ask to cut the grass.:smile: We also looked at the HRX, but it's bigger, has drag pulling backward and neither of us cared for either the paddle or the select drive. The big engine, double blade, and larger bag are appealing but couldn't beat out the light and maneuverable Toro.

Now I'm trying to figure out which to get. Basic, Spin Stop or Electric Start. The Spin Stop is nice, but adds the most weight and mechanical complexity and eliminates the clip accelerators that rotate with the blade the other two have. The electric seems like it would be great if it was reliable. Reviews suggest some issues. The basic is just that, light and very maneuverable.

Since I for sure bag in spring and fall, the spin stop could be really convenient but it takes away one of the cutting features. I'm not afraid to pull the cord every stop but I wonder if my son used it would it be easier to pull start since you start it with the blade disengaged? Any comments on cut quality of spin stop versus the basic model since the spin stop is missing a cutting feature? Any comments on the spin stop reliability or the electric start reliability? Recommendations? Probably need to make the call before the end of May. Toro has extended it's sale so I definitely need to decide prior to the sale expiring.

Thanks folks,
Jay

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First of all, I'm a Toro guy, so you know where I'm coming from. You are looking at the models 20381, 20383 and 20384. Each of these units will do an excellent job for what you are looking for. Each is very easy to start, so unless you have a specific reason, there is no need to go electric start. The difference in mulching between the BBC and Basic models is negligible, so I wouldn't worry about that, unless you are doing a lot of bagging where the BBC comes in handy. In your case, if you came into the store and asked these questions, I would be recommending the Basic model 20381. I wouldn't worry about upgrading to the other units, unless you had a good reason to do so. Remember, online reviews are 90% negative from those who expect more than they buy. I have heard of no problems with any of the models and we sell over a hundred of the cast aluminum models each year. You are on the right track, Good Luck with your decision.

stljay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the comments! Much appreciated. Can you tell me if the cord is easier to pull on the BBC model than standard since you don't have to pull with blade engaged? Thinking of my son. What is your take on the Toro vs Honda engine? I probably just ruled out electric start! Maybe leaning BBC since I bag in spring and fall and that eliminates warm start issues if there are any, but it does add weight and complexity. Such a toss up!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally don't think you will feel any difference in the recoil starting between models. I feel that the Loncin engine is a solid addition to the Toro line. You shouldn't have any problems. Remember, Toro uses four different engines, depending on the model, and the only one I would stay away from is the Kohler.

DK35vince

Threads
If you are bagging I would recommend the blade over ride.
The bag fills up quickly.

sjessen

Threads
I have owned a few super recyclers and really liked the bbc. You will too and so will your son. He should also be more than able to start the engine. If my 65 year old wife can do it he can too. Besides, he won't be 13 for long.

stljay

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I did decide. General information on the web indicated that the Loncin made Toro engine is a fine engine, but had I got it and had any problems I would have been kicking myself since originally I wanted a Honda engine for whatever mower I bought. So I went with the Honda powered Super Recycler, model 20382. No BBC.

I've used it once. If the engine always pulls and starts this easy, I won't miss the BBC. I bought a new gas can and Stabil Marine so I hope I don't have issues since all the new engines regardless of brand are finicky due to government regulation on emissions. I adjusted to the personal pace quickly and really like it. You don't have to release a transmission bar every time you back up, just pull back. Ridiculously simple. The PP handle is comfortable; it feels "just right". It was 50/50 no drag/slight drag pulling back but the wheels never locked and it was never a struggle to pull it back. The mower dry weighs 79lbs and it feels light making turns and feather light going forward with the personal pace. The wheels roll really well. Going up my hill was not an issue. I like that you can push the mower with one hand in tight spaces and the personal pace takes it forward for you. I bagged for the first mow. The bag is easy to use and seems to hold quite a bit. If you fill it completely, you will get a little spillage when you go to empty it. The clippings overall appear to be quite a bit smaller than my old Hi-Vac style JS63 John Deere.

So for first use, I'm pretty happy. I really liked my JS63 but the tranny is going and the wheels don't roll well now. I could really tell when I compared them side by side. Obviously I can't speak to longevity but it's put together really well, perhaps a function of the dealer since they assembled it and gave it an inspection when we purchased it. That's one advantage to getting it from a local dealer. They were the same price as online but of course we had to pay sales tax. But they filled it with gas and oil and checked to make sure it started.

For anyone considering a new mower, I'd urge you to take a look at the Super Recycler. I did a lot of homework looking at the Honda lines and even a new Snapper HiVac but came away most impressed with the Toro.

Thanks again to Rivets for answering a few PM's also. Very helpful!

Jay