Engine dies when starter rope released.

donnieu

Threads
Engine is 500 Series 158cc 4.5 HP Briggs & Stratton/5.0 Torque. Starts ok. Will continue to run if I hold the starter cord all the way out. When I release the starter cord back in, the engine dies. It has been running ok for a few months. I changed oil and replaced the dirty spark plug, but no difference. Engine cap vent holes are clear.

This morning I cleaned the filter, but same problem. I do see there is a small cut halfway thru the spark plug wire where the top compartment comes down on it. I assume that wire can be purchased. Any way to cut out bad piece and splice back together?

Last edited:

donnieu

Threads
I pushed the crimped wire back together and wrapped electric tape around it. Motor then kept running fine. Will order a new wire coil 591420.

Daveylawns

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can you post to let me know if you notice any difference between the cheap fix and the long term fix? I had a similar problem with mine and ended up having to do the same thing. After fixing my starter rope with the same deal, just rubber and electrical tape, I leaved it alone and it's been doing fine ever since. Didn't see the point in ordering a new part. Just let me know.

David Michelangelo
Lawn Service Centreville VA

donnieu

Threads
The cheap fix worked ok. However, if your lawnmower is several years old I would recommend getting a new coil wire whether you think you need it or not. My engine is running smooth as new now. But I still have one minor issue. There must be some metal piece missing that would keep the coil wire from getting cut. My new one is in danger of being cut also. I will wrap some steel tape around it to keep it from getting cut. The hole that is between the two covers is not big enough.