Necessary Repairs?

jkh85

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old John Deere lawn tractor I got from the previous owner of the house I just bought, and I decided to get it serviced since I didn't know what condition it was in and have little experience with mowers. The service/repair shop called back and said it needs a number of repairs, which adding to the $209 it was already going to cost to be serviced would now bring my total costs for service, repairs, & labor to over $800. My neighbor told me he's had bad experiences with this place before saying his mower needed this and that and that he said no thanks, and his mower still runs just fine. I don't want to pay for repairs I don't need but don't know mowers, engines, etc. enough to know what is necessary and what isn't. Can someone please tell me if these repairs seem necessary and if the prices seem reasonable? Here's the breakdown they gave me:

1 spark wire chewed threw, needs new coil - $64
Both valve cover gaskets need to be replaced - $10
Large flat idler has bad bearings, needs to be replaced - $22
Traction drive belt cracked and frayed - $28
All 3 spindle shafts bent, need to replace spindles - $284
Blades are bent & unsafe to sharpen. Need to replace. - $38
Labor - $150
Service - $209
Total $805

Some obviously aren't bad like the $10 valve cover gaskets, but is the $284 3 spindle replacements necessary? Appreciate any feedback.

solefate

Threads
I have an old John Deere lawn tractor I got from the previous owner of the house I just bought, and I decided to get it serviced since I didn't know what condition it was in and have little experience with mowers. The service/repair shop called back and said it needs a number of repairs, which adding to the $209 it was already going to cost to be serviced would now bring my total costs for service, repairs, & labor to over $800. My neighbor told me he's had bad experiences with this place before saying his mower needed this and that and that he said no thanks, and his mower still runs just fine. I don't want to pay for repairs I don't need but don't know mowers, engines, etc. enough to know what is necessary and what isn't. Can someone please tell me if these repairs seem necessary and if the prices seem reasonable? Here's the breakdown they gave me:

Labor - $150
Service - $209
Total $805

Some obviously aren't bad like the $10 valve cover gaskets, but is the $284 3 spindle replacements necessary? Appreciate any feedback.

I can't tell you if they are bad without seeing them, but yeah spindles are pretty important. You won't get a good cut, and it will wear out your pulleys, belts, and possibly the deck if they wear out too much. I just paid about 150 for two spindles on mine, with me doing the labor. Assuming they're replacing all fluids and cleaning the carb, filters, and all the little stuff...it doesn't sound outrageous.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Parts and labor you post are very reasonable, but I have no idea of what is included in SERVICE. That would raise a red flag in my mind.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
:

Labor - $150
Service - $209
Total $805

Without the mower sitting in my shop its a big question mark. Let go over the list

Yes needs a new coil if the rodents ate the plug wire, or can be repaired with a little sealant?
Are the valve covers leaking oil or just a little oil seepage?
Is the bearing noisy and loose in the idler pulley, I have seen a loose and noisy idler pulleys go a long time.
Traction belt bad or not and just how bad, a few small cracks can go a few more years
Bent spindles and blades are not safe, if bent, so just how bent are they?

You might think about a second opinion if you don't trust this dealer.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I assumed, which I shouldn't do, that you know that these parts are bad. If that is what the dealership is telling you, I agree with reynoldston about a second opinion. Would still like to know what SERVICE is? Also, I have never seen 3 bent spindle shafts on one deck. If they are bent, any competent tech can replace just the shafts, not the entire assembly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Again. I do not like to "me to" but I agree with the others.
1) I have never seen a deck with 3 bent spindles, in fact I have never seen a JD with a bent spindle at all, even the steel spindle housings with a blade bent like a pretzel
2) the spindle is a replaceable item and cost about $ 40 each
3) Idler pulley's are regular maintanance item so even if it was not bad enough to be replaced it won't hurt to do it.
4) Belt is most likely cracked and even if not is a routine service item
5) blades again a wear item
6) Coil a bit iffy on that I usually slip a sleeve on them depends upon how badly they are chewed up and where it is on the wire

FWIW my chargable hours book says 2 hours labour for a standard service so if he is charging $ 50 / hr then the labour looks right including the extra bits.

Again I am miffed at the $ 209 service charge
I am guessing that is for the air filter, oil filter, fuel filter , oil ( and old oil disposal fee where applicable ) which comes to $ 110 Aust ( $ 80 US )

You can call his bluff and OK the work provided you get all of the replaced parts and if they do not supply all of them you won't pay for them.
Do this by email so you have a written record of this.
When you get the mower back and the supposedly faulty parts check them carefully and if they look servicable take it up with JD Head Office.
If all those parts really needed replacing then he is doing a thorough job.
If he is padding out with unnecessary repairs JD will sort him out.
They pull agents franchises for doing this sort of things.