Questions Concerning Generators.

philadelphia1

Threads
Sup folks,

I have two generators that I'm currently working on and I have some basic questions I think can be adequately answered here? The first generator is a Yamaha EF1000. I received it from a customer who is moving and now longer wanted it. It wouldn't start and had bad gas in it. I drained all the gas, tore down the carb and cleaned it up. Poured some new gas in and it started on first pull with very little effort. The machine and motor are impeccably clean as if it just came off an assembly line leading me to conclude that this generator was rarely used and has very few hours on it.

Like I said, it starts very easy with choke on first pull. When I back the choke off the motor begins to surge and I can see the governor jumping around. It isn't until I apply a load (300watt spot light) that the motor and governor both settle themselves to a very nice smooth rhythm. My question is.....is this normal behavior? Is it normal for the motor to surge up and down when not under load? Here is a video I made to provide some perspective as to what I'm trying to explain.

-https://youtu.be/72ubbwrC-ig

(cant find any specs for the Yammy, I just know that it is an EF1000 Not an EF1000is)

Also, I'm working on a Coleman Powermate Pulse 1850 which too would not start and had bad gas. I drained and replaced with new gas. (did not clean the carb) and it started on the 1st pull. But here's my problem.....it runs beautifully ONLY with the choke on. The second I start moving the choke towards the RUN position it conks out. I'm guessing this is an issue of fuel starvation? Bad intake gasket? Or perhaps the carb needs to be cleaned? Here is a video to help explain what I'm experiencing.

-https://youtu.be/xk04ingupLE

(Coleman Powermate Pulse 1850 Model # PM0401850 A/C voltage :120 Current: 12.5 amps Power: 1500 watts Surge: 1850)
(Briggs motor Model # 93412 Type: 1236 E1 Code: 9710 17FA)

Any Help is greatly appreicated:smile:

-Philly YO

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
What you are having is the classic symptom of dirty carb. Be aware that some of those carbs have an idle adjustment screw on the side of the carb near the engine side of the carb, If you try to adjust or remove the screw it is designed to break off. Thank you EPA. You may have to clean the carbs multiple times to get them to run correctly, or may just have to replace them.

Replacing a carb on a Generac 5000w today because their is sludge in the fuel bowl and the needle valve is stuck shut. Generac doesn't offer repair parts for the carb.