Question while removing crankcase on intek 26hp Briggs

kyhunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Question while removing crankcase on intek 26hp Briggs
I have an oil leak and need to remove the crankcase on a 26hp Briggs & Stratton intek mower. I have the engine off and turned over. There is a square key holding the spacer on. Seems like I need to remove the key, but not sure how. I didn't want to damage anything so I am posting this message. I have posted a picture.Key2.png Let me know if you can help.

Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can't really tell from the picture, but it looks like the key is sitting on top of the spacer. If so then get something under the key down in the groove and ply the key out. If the key extends down into the spacer then you will need to find a way to get the spacer off over the key, or slide the key with it.

kyhunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
The key does sit on top of the spacer, because the spacer rotates freely. I will try to pry it out. Will let you know.

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use a diagonal cutter to remove the keys. Grab on tight and use the cutters like a pry bar. Also, is that a set screw on the spacer? If so you will need to loosen it and then you might be able to get a screwdriver between the spacer and the crankcase cover and pry everything up.

kyhunter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I sprayed some WD-40 on it and tapped it out with a screwdriver.

Thanks for the help everyone!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Clean up the shaft with a stiff wire brush till it is really clean or you will be doing this job again a lot sooner than you would like.
I wrap the shaft in a single layer of glad wrap and lube it before sliding the oil seal over it.