Honda vs Husqvarna vs Toro

Jackson Junglist

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since I have been living in the mountains where grass is rare, I haven't mowed a lawn in about twenty years. My wife and I just purchased a home on one acre where there are two small patches of nice irrigated grass and the rest is hilly bumpy terrain with field grass/weeds/foxtails which I do plan on mowing. I have been looking at the Husqvarna AWD models because of the hilly and uneven terrain, but I have found many horrible reviews. I have, however, been finding some fantastic reviews of Honda mowers, and I am now considering them as well. Honda does not make AWD models and the wheels seem small. Will they work on my hilly uneven lawn? I do not want to spend over $500, and I'm looking for some advice on which mower will work best for me. Thanks in advance.

The models I'm considering are the Husqvarna 725AWD/BBC and Honda HRR216VYA, but I am open to other suggestions.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Since I have been living in the mountains where grass is rare, I haven't mowed a lawn in about twenty years. My wife and I just purchased a home on one acre where there are two small patches of nice irrigated grass and the rest is hilly bumpy terrain with field grass/weeds/foxtails which I do plan on mowing. I have been looking at the Husqvarna AWD models because of the hilly and uneven terrain, but I have found many horrible reviews. I have, however, been finding some fantastic reviews of Honda mowers, and I am now considering them as well. Honda does not make AWD models and the wheels seem small. Will they work on my hilly uneven lawn? I do not want to spend over $500, and I'm looking for some advice on which mower will work best for me. Thanks in advance. The models I'm considering are the Husqvarna 725AWD/BBC and Honda HRR216VYA, but I am open to other suggestions.

2 years ago the husqvarna awd was rated number one by popular mechanics.
They tested many mowers.
I have two of them and love them.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Since I have been living in the mountains where grass is rare, I haven't mowed a lawn in about twenty years. My wife and I just purchased a home on one acre where there are two small patches of nice irrigated grass and the rest is hilly bumpy terrain with field grass/weeds/foxtails which I do plan on mowing. I have been looking at the Husqvarna AWD models because of the hilly and uneven terrain, but I have found many horrible reviews. I have, however, been finding some fantastic reviews of Honda mowers, and I am now considering them as well. Honda does not make AWD models and the wheels seem small. Will they work on my hilly uneven lawn? I do not want to spend over $500, and I'm looking for some advice on which mower will work best for me. Thanks in advance.

The models I'm considering are the Husqvarna 725AWD/BBC and Honda HRR216VYA, but I am open to other suggestions.

The Husqvarna 725AWD/BBC vs the Honda HRR216VYA I'd have to go with the Honda HRR216VYA. The Honda has a better max forward speed the Husqvarna if that's of any interest to you. I've run both the engines, the 190cc Briggs and the 160cc Honda and the Briggs didn't do well. I ended up with a sheer pin destroying the crankshaft on it so that told me a little about what I purchased there.
As far as the Hondas go I never wore out a Honda engine just the wheels they will be the first things to go on the Honda. If I can ask your post stated Honda vs Husqvarna vs Toro, what happen to the Toro and why did you discount them?

primerbulb120

Threads
Husqvarna makes several AWD mowers with Honda engines. I would suggest that you either go with one of those or get a Honda mower. :thumbsup:

IMO Toro can't compete until they get rid of the Personal Pace drive system and replace it with something better. When I have a RWD self propelled mower, I don't want to push on it to make it go up a hill. I expect it to pull me up a hill instead. I have owned several RWD mowers that were capable of doing this, but the Toro is not one of them.

Jackson Junglist

Forum Newbie
Threads
If I can ask your post stated Honda vs Husqvarna vs Toro, what happen to the Toro and why did you discount them?

From what I've researched, the features don't appeal to me. The personal pace seems inferior to the other systems. Also, I would have to drive an hour to find a dealer that sells Toro.

Jackson Junglist

Forum Newbie
Threads
Husqvarna makes several AWD mowers with Honda engines. I would suggest that you either go with one of those or get a Honda mower. :thumbsup:

The real question that I have is if the AWD system will work better on my uneven & hilly yard, or if the RWD will be sufficient? I now realize that with my large yard, I will have to mow it more than a few times a year, and I think I am now willing to spend a little more for a machine that will make this easier. If the AWD truly will help me, I think the Husqvarna HU800AWD/BBC will be my choice. If the AWD is a gimmick and a RWD machine will work fine for my situation, I'll be looking into the Honda HRX217VYA OR HRX217HYA. I'm not sure about the select drive vs hydrostatic which I'll take feedback on those too if you have them.

primerbulb120

Threads
The real question that I have is if the AWD system will work better on my uneven & hilly yard, or if the RWD will be sufficient? I now realize that with my large yard, I will have to mow it more than a few times a year, and I think I am now willing to spend a little more for a machine that will make this easier. If the AWD truly will help me, I think the Husqvarna HU800AWD/BBC will be my choice. If the AWD is a gimmick and a RWD machine will work fine for my situation, I'll be looking into the Honda HRX217VYA OR HRX217HYA. I'm not sure about the select drive vs hydrostatic which I'll take feedback on those too if you have them.

Hydrostatic is definitely better. I think a RWD machine would be sufficient for your yard, the AWD just adds extra weight.

DK35vince

Threads
From what I've researched, the features don't appeal to me. The personal pace seems inferior to the other systems. Also, I would have to drive an hour to find a dealer that sells Toro.
I've had my Toro with the personal pace for 9 years now. (with Briggs engine, aluminum deck, electric start, blade overide feature, Etc.) Never a problem. Nice mower.
I like the personal pace.

Last edited:

Jackson Junglist

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hydrostatic is definitely better. I think a RWD machine would be sufficient for your yard, the AWD just adds extra weight.

Do either or both of the hydrostatic or select drive allow the user to drive the mower wheels without engaging the blade?

primerbulb120

Threads
Do either or both of the hydrostatic or select drive allow the user to drive the mower wheels without engaging the blade?

The Honda HRX217VYA and the Honda HRX217HYA allow the user to drive the mower wheels without engaging the blade. Visit the Honda mower website at powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers for more information on Honda's mowers.