oil leaking out of air cleaner cover

jgb shine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, can anyone tell me why i have oil leaking out of air cleaner cover on my honda fr500 tiller. Runs great for 5 mins then as oiil gushing out of cleaner the motor dies.
Thanks Mike

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The breather is blocked
or
The head gasket is bown
or
The float is sticking and filling the sump with fuel

jgb shine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Bert,
If the float was sticking would oil be leaking out of air cleaner cover or would it be purely gas? I dont know what a breather is, can you point me in the right direction?
Thanks again,MIke

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fuel leaks into the carb then into the cylinder then into the sump and fills it so when the engine runs, it runs a bt slow and blows the oil/fuel mix out of the brether / vent which is the tube behind the air cleaner.
Where it goes into the engine ( usually into the rocker cover ) there is a one way valve that can get stuck.
leaky head gasket will make a wheese when you pull the cord and the pull cord will not be as hard to pull as usual.

jgb shine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Bert, thanks so much for your insight, it looks like that 1 way valve might be the culprit, when i checked the oil a gas and oil mixture came spewing out,can you explain what this one way valve looks like and where it is located?

Thanks again, Mike