Has run rough since new 8 years ago

DickDay

Forum Newbie
Threads
About 8 years ago, I bought a new Craftsman Pressure washer. It has a Briggs 6.75 engine. Model/Type 126T02 0114B1. I brought it home, hooked it up and it started easy and ran great for about 3 minutes. Then we would get very little pressure. It would start running fine for a while and then it would run rough. I contacted the store and they sent someone out to our place. It seems that our well pump would keep pressure going until the bladder in the tank was low and then the pump would kick in and it would run fine for a while. We were given the option to return it but we decided to keep it. They explained that the one we bought was only about 2.5gpm and other washers would require more than that. They said it was not hurting the engine or the pump. They explained that when the pressure would drop, the pump would kick off and once the pressure was back, it would resume supplying pressure. When we first got it, the engine was fairly easy to start.

We have probably used it a dozen times over the past 8 years. The times we did use it, it was hard to start and would run rough even when the pressure was good.

We recently had to replace our well pump and we now use what they call a frequency drive pump. It maintains a constant pressure which is considerably more than we got from our old pump.

The pressure washer had been in storage for the past few years and was stored with no fuel in the tank or carb. Recently, I put some fresh gas in and it was hard to start, just like it had previously been, and it ran rough.

I removed the pump so I could work on just the engine. I replaced the carb with a new Briggs carb, replaced the fuel line, put a new spark plug in (with the proper gap). Now, it starts on the first pull but it still sounds like it's missing every 15 seconds or so. I pulled the plug and I didn't see any black buildup but the rim was slightly damp with a brownish, tacky substance.

Fresh gas, new plug, new fuel line and a new carb.

Any suggestions as to what I should do next?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: