Briggs and Stratton wont idle and runs dirty

JFStuart

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys I am stumped on my Briggs and Stratton 5hp horizontal shaft tiller motor, I just finished rebuilding it, new valves, piston and rod, piston rings, new spark plug and gasket set, replaced the crank shaft with good used one. The motor will start and run if i keep it revved up a little but will not low idle and when I run it at higher speeds it runs dirty, its not a clean clear sound if you know what I mean, I have cleaned carburetor with carburetor cleaner, replaced needle and seat screwed out 1-1/2, new diaphragm kit with spring ring cap. The only thing I have not changed is the breather, I have it on order, should come in Saturday. Any one have any thoughts if the breather doesn't help. Model: 130202, Type: 0135-01, Code: 6701261. This is a 1967 motor.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Sounds to me like you mistook the timing marks on the camshaft or crankshaft gear. I just did one and had trouble making out the marks. I did a couple of test turns before putting on the side plate to make sure valve timing was right.

Walt Conner

JFStuart

Forum Newbie
Threads
I lined the marks up, they were very easy to see. I wonder if the timing mark may be in different place on the used crank shaft than on the old one. I will pull the crankcase cover off and double check the timing marks this weekend.

JFStuart

Forum Newbie
Threads
After doing some reading last night, I realized that I did not check the valve gap after putting in new valves, this may be my whole problem. I will check all of these things tomorrow.
I do have what might be a pretty lame question but I cannot find any info on the web; on the valves springs one is taller than the other, I put the taller one on the intake valve but not sure if this is right, did not notice they were different when I tore down the motor.

Last edited: