Walbro WYL-series Carbs: Are Different Models Compatible?

primerbulb120

Threads
  • / Walbro WYL-series Carbs: Are Different Models Compatible?
I haven't received the carb for the Makita EH760 yet but I should have it in a couple of days.

However, since I have had a similar issue with a string trimmer (Troy Bilt TB90BC, Walbro 1587 WT827A), I searched eBay for a carb for it, ordered one, and installed it. I'm very happy with the result... it's starts and runs like new. :cool: That trimmer had been a low priority since I have two other working trimmers but I'm glad to have it back in the fleet.

If you ever want to tune it, there are two mixture screws on top of the carb. The one closest to the air filter is the high speed screw, the one closest to the engine is the idle speed screw. You will need this tool to adjust them:

ebay.com/itm/Pac-Man-Carburetor-Adjustment-Service-Tool-For-Ryobi-Homelite-Craftsman-Poulan-/281862780594?hash=item41a054b6b2:g:mPIAAOSwbdpWT9ca

The screws are actually the "single D" type, but I've found that the screwdriver for the "pac man" type can adjust them with no problem. Plus you can also adjust "pac man" carburetors if you ever have any. :smile:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I didn't know you could buy those special adjustment tools on eBay. Thanks, that's good to know.

primerbulb120

Threads
I didn't know you could buy those special adjustment tools on eBay. Thanks, that's good to know.

Just put in "carb tool" in the search box and you will come up with all the different kinds of carb screwdrivers. I'm used to buying parts on eBay, so when I needed a carb tool eBay seemed like the natural place to go. :smile:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just put in "carb tool" in the search box and you will come up with all the different kinds of carb screwdrivers. I'm used to buying parts on eBay, so when I needed a carb tool eBay seemed like the natural place to go. :smile:

None of the current tools are available to any other than an authorised dealer and have to be ordered through the OEM suppliers.
EPA strikes again.
I generally cut the guards off nd then put a slot in the end of the screws.

As for the original question any carb can be replaced so long as the replacement has the same mounting centers and the same impulse hole.
After that you should try to find one with the same size throat ( usually called choke ) or slightly larger if you can't get one the same.
Obviously a crab gesigned to feed a 22cc cylinder aint going to work on a 30cc cylinder, it jst will not be able to supply enough fuel.
Conversely if the carb is too big you will not get enough draft to provide sufficient suck on the fuel ( call is signal is you want to sound like you know what you are talking about ) to drag it through the check valves and inot the cylinder ( or crankcase if you like ).

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
None of the current tools are available to any other than an authorised dealer and have to be ordered through the OEM suppliers.
EPA strikes again.
I generally cut the guards off nd then put a slot in the end of the screws.

As for the original question any carb can be replaced so long as the replacement has the same mounting centers and the same impulse hole.
After that you should try to find one with the same size throat ( usually called choke ) or slightly larger if you can't get one the same.
Obviously a crab gesigned to feed a 22cc cylinder aint going to work on a 30cc cylinder, it jst will not be able to supply enough fuel.
Conversely if the carb is too big you will not get enough draft to provide sufficient suck on the fuel ( call is signal is you want to sound like you know what you are talking about ) to drag it through the check valves and inot the cylinder ( or crankcase if you like ).

That may be the case in Australia but I don't think it's that hard to get those tools here (USA). I agree with the essence of what you're saying: I wish the government would just leave us alone and let us fix our stuff. :mad:

Here's the irony: many trimmers, mowers, etc. end up in a landfill (very wasteful, not good for the environment) because they're so hard (expensive) to fix due to these and similar regulations. :mad:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That may be the case in Australia but I don't think it's that hard to get those tools here (USA). I agree with the essence of what you're saying: I wish the government would just leave us alone and let us fix our stuff. :mad:

Here's the irony: many trimmers, mowers, etc. end up in a landfill (very wasteful, not good for the environment) because they're so hard (expensive) to fix due to these and similar regulations. :mad:

Poulan dealers are required to contact Husqvarna to obtain the tools, No longer available through distributor. MTD has stopped supplying the tools to their dealers as of last year. the reason given was the EPA was putting pressure on the company because they were allowing their dealers to adjust an emissions control device without having the instruments to test the exhaust. Yes there are tools being sold illegally on Ebay and the other sites. The EPA has started cracking down on dealers illegally selling the tools, as well as on the consumers for owning them.

As of my last knowledge the fine to the dealer for selling is $38,500 per tool/ per day. Joe blow homeowner can be fined $3,850 per tool/ per day.

the flip side of it is though some of those carbs are getting cheaper than the price of the tool to adjust them. I have come across complete new carbs for push mowers engines and some trimmers that the retail price on the carb is $13.00

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Poulan dealers are required to contact Husqvarna to obtain the tools, No longer available through distributor. MTD has stopped supplying the tools to their dealers as of last year. the reason given was the EPA was putting pressure on the company because they were allowing their dealers to adjust an emissions control device without having the instruments to test the exhaust. Yes there are tools being sold illegally on Ebay and the other sites. The EPA has started cracking down on dealers illegally selling the tools, as well as on the consumers for owning them.

As of my last knowledge the fine to the dealer for selling is $38,500 per tool/ per day. Joe blow homeowner can be fined $3,850 per tool/ per day.

the flip side of it is though some of those carbs are getting cheaper than the price of the tool to adjust them. I have come across complete new carbs for push mowers engines and some trimmers that the retail price on the carb is $13.00

Yeah, and we are really going to buy a $ 7,000 Co/Co2 meter for doing $ 30 tune ups on handhelds.

However there is much truth in Two-Strokes ending comment.
There is so much embedded pollution in creating short service life products the entire planet would be a lot better off with mandated and enforced minimum quality and service life standards.
If we replaced consummer durable items less frequently then we could afford to buy better ones and the factories could make reasonable profits.
A line trimmer running flat chat as over rich as it could be adjusted to till it blew up will never produce the amount of pollution that was generated in making it, marketing it & delivering it.
Eventually the overweight achne riddled scientifically illerate idiot moron bastards who run the EPA will cotton on to this, but by that time we will all be dead.
Hope the cockroaches make a better job of running the planet than we did.

I had this conversation with one of the self appointed planet savers down here not to long ago when they were adgitating the banning of the use of those filthy dirty smokey earth killing two stroke lawnmowers.
Works out it would take 13 years of operation at 50 hours a year before the two stroke's "dirty" exhaust equalled the difference in the embedded pollution between making the local all cast iron two stroke engine and the equivalent 5 Hp Briggs 4 stroke.
However the 5 Hp quantum engine only has an EPA certified life of 3 years and after 9 years there is no difference in the pollution between the two engines as the 2 stroke dose not wear any where near as fast as the lean burning 4 stroke. They stopped the test at 550 hours when it was becomming very apparent that the Quantum's exhaust was going to eclipse the Powertorque.

If the facts don't support your obsessions, change the facts.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, and we are really going to buy a $ 7,000 Co/Co2 meter for doing $ 30 tune ups on handhelds.

However there is much truth in Two-Strokes ending comment.
There is so much embedded pollution in creating short service life products the entire planet would be a lot better off with mandated and enforced minimum quality and service life standards.
If we replaced consummer durable items less frequently then we could afford to buy better ones and the factories could make reasonable profits.
A line trimmer running flat chat as over rich as it could be adjusted to till it blew up will never produce the amount of pollution that was generated in making it, marketing it & delivering it.
Eventually the overweight achne riddled scientifically illerate idiot moron bastards who run the EPA will cotton on to this, but by that time we will all be dead.
Hope the cockroaches make a better job of running the planet than we did.

I had this conversation with one of the self appointed planet savers down here not to long ago when they were adgitating the banning of the use of those filthy dirty smokey earth killing two stroke lawnmowers.
Works out it would take 13 years of operation at 50 hours a year before the two stroke's "dirty" exhaust equalled the difference in the embedded pollution between making the local all cast iron two stroke engine and the equivalent 5 Hp Briggs 4 stroke.
However the 5 Hp quantum engine only has an EPA certified life of 3 years and after 9 years there is no difference in the pollution between the two engines as the 2 stroke dose not wear any where near as fast as the lean burning 4 stroke. They stopped the test at 550 hours when it was becomming very apparent that the Quantum's exhaust was going to eclipse the Powertorque.

If the facts don't support your obsessions, change the facts.

I agree with you completely. But what do we know we are not the government talking to the stupid ones. I can not count the number of people that have not a clue they are being lead around by there noses. They want everyone to believe what is said and do not question. Besides the fact that one volcanic eruption puts more polution in the air than Humans have their entire existence.