Just picked up a LT1042...

Graytalon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings all,
I recently picked up a LT1042,circa 2006. The engine is a 19 HP Kohlor Courage. I thought it had a small oil leak, but the valve cover gasket was blown. I wish I had found more about this prior to buying it. I still would have bought it but not for the price.
Anyway, this weekend I repaired what I think was wrong, but haven't been able to try it out yet. If the weather holds I will tonight. I guess you could say I don't have a current issue, but was wondering what I should be looking for or maintenance to plan. I checked the slack in the valves and they seemed ok. Oil is fresh, not sure about the filter and it has 223 hrs on it. The model number is 13AX11CG710 and the engine is a SV590S.

Suggestions, comments, constructive criticisms are welcome. I've attached some pics. OR will be shortly.

GT

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
That engine takes a valve cover gasket and really not too prom to leak, but check it anyways. What I have run across in my shop that the block cracks right above the valve cover and leaks oil. I have repaired them with JB weld. I just hope in your case its just a valve cover gasket :thumbsup:

primerbulb120

Threads
Greetings all,
I recently picked up a LT1042,circa 2006. The engine is a 19 HP Kohlor Courage. I thought it had a small oil leak, but the valve cover gasket was blown. I wish I had found more about this prior to buying it. I still would have bought it but not for the price.
Anyway, this weekend I repaired what I think was wrong, but haven't been able to try it out yet. If the weather holds I will tonight. I guess you could say I don't have a current issue, but was wondering what I should be looking for or maintenance to plan. I checked the slack in the valves and they seemed ok. Oil is fresh, not sure about the filter and it has 223 hrs on it. The model number is 13AX11CG710 and the engine is a SV590S.

Suggestions, comments, constructive criticisms are welcome. I've attached some pics. OR will be shortly.

GT

Looks like a good mower! Hopefully you've fixed the oil leak. :thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the block around the junction of the barrel .
Bigger courage engine are prone to developing the Kohler Krack in that region.
make sure all the top closure plate bolts are tight.
Again the ones around the barrel region slakken off due to heat cycling then the vibrations cause the block to crack.
Seems to be quite random if they crack or not but it is usual to find one or two loose bolts after a season or two ( 100 hours ).

Graytalon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Morning all,
The valve cover gasket seems to be "holding" up. It did need to be replaced though. If I was thinking I would have taken pictures. There was oil pouring out when I took off the cover.
I haven't heard of the "Kohler Krack" before, so I can see I need to do some more reading. I didn't realize this purchase was going to teach me small engine repair. :wink:
We, the wife and I, got up on the mower to 'test' it, and it worked very well. I checked under the engine and there seemed to be a bit more oil. I say seemed to be because I am not sure it didn't get there from changing the VCG or some other location. I am going to clean it thoroughly and test it again. I believe more pics are in order here as well.
Any good info on the "Kohler Krack" would be greatly appreciated. I'll take pics as I go through the engine this time.

GT

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The engine was designed to be automatically assembled and is an engineering masterpiece and marketed as the Command.
However it has a forged crank which is too good for Joe Public ( too expensive if you like ) so they put a cast malleable iron crank in their to make the Courage cheap enough for Joe Public's pockets.
Downside is this crank is substantially bigger and thus heavier than the designed for one .
Although balanced very well some will loosen the front bolts then crack the cases on a few random engines.
I have tried all sorts of things to fix the crack but the only permenant one was Lumiweld ( sort of solder for aluminium).
Oddly enough it does not seem to bother the engine till the hole gets so big the fuel pump stops working and they do use a lot of oil.

Graytalon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings all,
After doing more research and going over the case I found the break. And while I am sure it's repairable, I didn't pay the money I did for it to start a money sink.
I spoke to the man I bought it from and he's agreed to take it back. I am going to start looking again and see what I can find.
Thanks for all of the info. I do appreciate it. I'll post the next new to me mower soon.

thanks again,
GT

oh, here's a picture of the crack.

26858437715_97ede5835c_z.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep. you sir are the proud owner of a Kohler Krack.
Go down to the tip of the crack, try to work out where it is going then drill the smallest hole you have a drill for in that position and another at the visible tip of the crack.
Clean up the area then decide which kind of bog you want to put in the crack.
As previously metioned I have customers with these that are better than 4 years old and the mower runs quite fine.
So if you get 4 years out of it for the price you paid you are laughing.
JB weld was a bit runny, Davcon worked really well but I only had a little bit left over and I can only get it in big ( very expensive ) can down here.
Tried some Lumiweld, never had any luck with it before but it worked really really well. Google aluminium solder and you will find a lot of similar products.

The problem is it is too thin to oxy weld ( well for me to oxy weld alloy any way ).
It can be TIG and MIG welded but it has to be surgically clean and fully dissasembled for electric welding so becomes too expensive for my customers

Graytalon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, it's done. I took it back. I'll post a new post to bring it up to speed.

GT