Blades Bradley Lawn Mower Blade Sharpener

Ron123

Threads
You don't say what model you have but typically you raise or lower the motor assembly to adjust the angle.

I have raised the wheel as high as it will go to get the flattest angle and it is much greater than 30 degrees. It is not possible to get a 30 degree angle without doing some major modifications to the grinder. If I am doing something wrong please tell me the right way to do it.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I sharpen mine everyday after mowing with a flapper disk on the angle grinder. 20 min total off and back on.
flapper disk.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It's not as bad as it would seem if you have a good grinder, balancer, and system. In our shop it's my job to sharpen any loose blades brought in and I use both a blade grinder or a larger 4" stone hand grinder. Somedays I could have 25-30 if the landscapers have rain and try to get caught up. Have about 6 companies with one company that brings in 15 blades about every two weeks, plus homeowners. That's not including any of the equipment I might be working on. Usually takes 5-7 minutes per blade, clean, sharpen, balance. Everyone gets as close to a 30 degree angle as I can get, no one seems to be complaining, except me when I run out of time, due to poor planning that day. Today was a light day, just 6, but Monday I had 21, keeps me young.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
As above wheel size does have an effect on angle, but so does the base the blade is ground from. I do not know what a Bradley looks like , but maybe you could shim under the front or rear of the blade to help you get the angle you want. Once achieved keep the shim as a jig piece. One advantage of hand/grinder sharpening is that you set the angle via judgement. Due respect I'm not sure hitting 30 degrees perfectly is that important. And if it is a thick blade consider "backing off" or grinding a secondary bevel behind the cutting bevel . Thinning a blade like this is beneficial. Before I grind I lock the blade in a vise and use a dull wood chisel to scrape off the dried spinach, followed by rotary wire brush. The 3-5 minute/blade estimate above sounds about right IMO.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I sharpen mine everyday after mowing with a flapper disk on the angle grinder. 20 min total off and back on.
View attachment 28445

Mine get sharped once a year if they need it or not :ashamed: Sharping them every day you can't get much life out of a set of blades. When I worked for a dealer and they had me sharping blades they wanted me to run the grinder over the sharped edge fast just to dull them, because they said the blades last longer.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I run 3 sets of blades. 2 sharp all the time and one on the mower. Makes for fast blade changes. I keep the "best" 3 for trash blades the next year.