155c transmission

ghost1

Threads
I'm working on a 155c that has been getting slower when mowing and will barely pull a hill. The drive belt was cracked and worn and I replaced it with no difference. Changed oil and filter in Tough Torque K46 and it still has same symptoms. When climbing hill, I do hear the drive belt squealing and smell rubber burning. Unless I've missed something there are no adjustments to tighten belt. Anything else that can be tried or is the tranny toast?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
So is your suspicion that the trans is dragging with internal problems such that the belt drive is slipping and burning? Can one of these K 46 normally be turned by hand or have a factory spec turn over torque? Sorry I don't have the experience on this one.

Glyn Robinson

Threads
did you measure your new belt by your old belt? old belt has probably stretched over time and if you used it to measure for another belt, the new belt would be too long.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post make, year, model & serial numbers from data plate or sticker on lawn tractor. Sounds like idler pulley bearings for transaxle drive belt may be worn out, remove idlers & inspect center bearings by hand. Is belt OEM part? Tuff Torque website has oil specifications & technical information on your K46.

ghost1

Threads
Thanks for replies. Sorry to say that I.D. tag has fallen off of mower. Only information I could get to purchase belt was that it's a 155c with a 48" deck. With that, I got on John Deere's website and it was showing belt replacement as part number GX20006. I purchased gasket kit and oil from Tough Torque. The idler pulley's make sense as pulley and axle's turn freely on transmission. They seem to be turning freely with belt on, but I'll remove both of them and give a good inspection.

ghost1

Threads
The pulleys seem to be in good shape. I assume next step would be pull tranny and remove the pump and motor. Not really sure what to look for as far as wear.

ghost1

Threads
Update:

Placed a rebuild kit in transmission. Found a couple of videos on line and followed the procedure. Basically a new transmission except for differential gears that show no wear. Still it will not pull a hill and doesn't have the forward speed on flat ground it should. Can anyone advise where else to look?

ghost1

Threads
Spring for idler pulley plate was the culprit. J.D. has updated spring and new one is shorter and has more tension than original. Wow, what a learning experience. Thanks to all!!!!!