Dealing With Pebbles or Stones

Helper

Threads
How do you deal with pebbles and stones in your lawn? Did you pick them up one by one or covered the whole area with garden soil? I did the second option when we transferred to a new home. Picking the stones in the lawn will take forever so we just bought a truckload of garden soil and covered the area with it. It costs us something but at least we don't have to hurt our backs. :smile:

rekees

Threads
I remove them from my garden using a dog pooper scooper. No bending over that way. Might not work in a lawn though due to the grass interference?

mystreba

Threads
I spent the entire day today raking out stones left by a contractor. They had been dumped in a huge pile in the back yard, and they used a bobcat to move them around the jobsite. But when they left, there was a huge area with stone crunched into the ground by the heavy equipment. It was tedious work, using a hoe and garden rake to pop them up, then either raking them up or picking them up by hand. Took all day, with the kids helping. If the kids hadn't helped, I'm thinking maybe half a day would have done it. :rolleyes:

Helper

Threads
I agree with you, kids just like to have fun in everything that they do. At least you had the job was done. I really hate it when a lawnmower hits a stone however small it is.

Last edited:

Greenblades

Threads
I like the idea of using a pooper scooper. To be honest, when I have to deal with stones I use my kids too. (They make such great slaves, don't they...). But I know they won't be around forever, so I will tuck that little gem into the back of my head.

mamaA

Threads
We've been in this house for 5 years and still have rocks in the front yard from when the contractor brought in gravel to make the driveway and some spilled out. We pick them up but most of the time the weeds cover them.

cren

Threads
Most times I am not dealing with them I am very lucky, it seems our newest home is nothing like our old one. Now at the old one I was in the same place with you all as it seems, grumpy and the such, now I am content.

BlueGrass

Threads
I use a rake and try to rake them into a pile and then shovel them up. For the ones I can't rake up I will pick them up. The ones that get me are those white landscaping chipped rock that everyone uses. I see those all over the place.