New EFI and radiator on Scag TT

EcoMax

Forum Newbie
Threads
What do you guys think about the new EFI & radiator systems on the scag TT? Worth the extra $? Increases performance, longevity, and FUEL or just something else to pay for that is going to tear up? The reason is I am buying a new Turf Tiger this week and the dealer calls and informs me that he has a 2015 TT without the EFI radiator and tiger eye for about $1,200 Less. He says that since this technology hasn't been out long he'd stay away form it until all the bugs are worked out. It he just trying to clear old inventory or is he trying to help. Thanks
PS I'm looking at the Scag TT 61 inch EFI liquid cooled

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
EFI on a small engine involves additional equipment both on the engine to control and meter fuel and on the machine to boost fuel pressure to feed the EFI system on the engine. As for the radiator, this is used on liquid cooled engines only.
Your dealer is talking about a Scag Turf Tiger and Turf Tiger II. The TT II is an upgraded and new version of the standard TT.
A Turf Tiger II with a liquid cooled EFI engine will have a involved electrical system than non EFI and air cooled engine powered machines.
The primary difference electrically between the TT and TT II is the Tiger Eye on the TT II. This incorporates the new machine monitoring and the electronic control module which is a separate part on the TT.
Any dealer would prefer to move older models and a $1,200 difference is worth considering. The Turf Tiger is a well proven machine.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not a pro , but to me $1200 would be worth it for the precision of EFI and the stable cooling of radiator. These technologies have been around for decades. I guess the unknown is how well that manufacturer has incorporated them.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
No doubt that liquid cooling is more constant and stable temperature wise. EFI has improved over the years and has proven to more fuel and power efficient than a carburetor. The Turf Tiger has a horizontal crankshaft engine which is the only orientation that is suitable for liquid cooling. Kawasaki and possibly others have stopped producing vertical shaft liquid cooled small engines as they were problematic. All other Scag models have vertical shaft engines.
There are other improvements that Scag put into the Turf Tiger II that are welcome changes. In a dusty environment a radiator will need to be cleaned fairly often.
Similar changes have been made to the Tiger Cat II and as an owner/operator of a Tiger Cub, I have welcomed these upgrades, however they are at an additional cost.
I periodically stop by my local Scag dealer and drool as I look over the new machines! :licking:
So the OP must make the $1,200 decision!!!!:laughing::biggrin::smile:

EcoMax

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the feedback