Buying new scag

My_guy99

Threads
I will be purchasing a new 52 scag patriot, your thoughts!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Scag Patriot is an upgraded Freedom Z Pro.
The specs on the Patriot are good, but the nice feature is that Scag has taken a lower level machine and installed an upper level engine.
This is something that perspective buyers have been asking for as they don't need a high end machine, but would like to have the option an upper level engine on a lower level machine.
As ZTRs are dusty by their nature od design, having an engine with the HD two stage air filtration system is a plus.

My_guy99

Threads
The Scag Patriot is an upgraded Freedom Z Pro. The specs on the Patriot are good, but the nice feature is that Scag has taken a lower level machine and installed an upper level engine. This is something that perspective buyers have been asking for as they don't need a high end machine, but would like to have the option an upper level engine on a lower level machine. As ZTRs are dusty by their nature od design, having an engine with the HD two stage air filtration system is a plus.

So I take it u think it's a good buy or step it up or down?!??!?!?!??

I'm not doing lawns full time just want a Quality mower at a good price that will take care of the clients that I have and prospective clients in the future. I typically do mostly residentials but I do have a few commercial properties and don't know how they will fare in the future whether I keep them or not a couple of them are kind of headaches to deal with, the client that is! I currently have a 48 inch deck and it's getting older and these to be replaced soon so that's the reason why I thought about this one...

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I will be purchasing a new 52 scag patriot, your thoughts!
Is the deck on this mower the Velocity Deck? How much differance in the price is the Patroit and the Tiger Cat?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The patriot does not have a Velocity deck, only Tiger Cat and above.
The Patriot deck resembles the Advantage deck that thousands of Scag machines had for years.
The primary differences between the Advantage and Velocity decks are the apron on the front and a larger discharge opening.
The fabricated deck on the Patriot and similar machines may have a larger discharge opening than the Advantage decks had.
The spindle assemblies on a Patriot deck are aluminum with sealed bearings and do not have the thru bolt type that are on a Velocity deck.
If a Velocity deck is important, then the OP must step up to a Tiger Cat, more $$$$$$$!!!:laughing::biggrin::smile:

My_guy99

Threads
Do you know the prices off and I never got a chance to call them today...

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tiger Cat/52" deck/FX691 Kawi/suspension seat here in CT is around $9,000, Tiger Cat II is more.
I don't recall what the Patriot/52" deck was, possibly around $7,000.

Last edited:

My_guy99

Threads
Tiger Cat/52" deck/FX691 Kawi/suspension seat here in CT is around $9,000, Tiger Cat II is more. I don't recall what the Patriot/52" deck was, possibly around $7,000.

I c

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The patriot does not have a Velocity deck, only Tiger Cat and above.
The Patriot deck resembles the Advantage deck that thousands of Scag machines had for years.
The primary differences between the Advantage and Velocity decks are the apron on the front and a larger discharge opening.
The fabricated deck on the Patriot and similar machines may have a larger discharge opening than the Advantage decks had.
The spindle assemblies on a Patriot deck are aluminum with sealed bearings and do not have the thru bolt type that are on a Velocity deck.
If a Velocity deck is important, then the OP must step up to a Tiger Cat, more $$$$$$$!!!:laughing::biggrin::smile:

For me one of the major things is the thru bolt spindles. We change blades daily most times and that alone is a life saver. Two different times we have guarded a bolt and were able to take a Matabo and cut it off and insert a new bolt and be running in minutes. Verses if it had been a bolt threaded into the spindle from beneath we would have been down for a while.

Also I got tangled to a piece of cable recently that was attached to a tree. I was able to raise the deck enough with a jack and drop the blade and get the cable off. I would have had a mess trying to get the blade off with a mower that the bolt threaded in from the bottom.

The cheapest price for a piece of equipment is not always the best price. Tiger Cat with a 52" Velocity Deck and a Kawasaki engine is tough to beat by anything I have seen run against it.