Need help with equipment for hilly terrain.

ShaunWV

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey folks, rookie here and need some help deciding on what equipment to buy.

Property: 11 acres, I finish mow 5 of it. I am in WV, so it's quite hilly and I know a traditional ZTR mower won't work for me. I mow once every two weeks This is a vacation property for my family, so I want to mow this grass as fast as possible. Budget is at the very most 10k. I am currently mowing it, and have very slowly since 2004, with a Husqvarna garden tractor with wheel chains. The mower is wearing out and it's time to upgrade.

Is there anything out there that can mow as fast as a ZTR and hold the slopes that fall within my budget? I appreciate your info.

ShaunWV

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pic doesn't really look that bad. Perhaps I could use a ZTR as long as it was known to stick well. Also there is a place on the property where there is a little valley to climb up out of.

Attachments

• image-3706077626.jpg
    image-3706077626.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 27

eric102

Threads
If the hills are steep enough to need chains on your Husky then maybe look for a garden tractor with AWD or 4wd. My JD X739 will stick like glue to steep wet slopes and it will mow pretty fast but not as fast as a ZTR. I think it will do about 8 mph but if there are any bumps its a rough ride at top speed.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pic doesn't really look that bad. Perhaps I could use a ZTR as long as it was known to stick well. Also there is a place on the property where there is a little valley to climb up out of.

The hill in that photo isn't too steep for a zero turn. However, I am sure there are areas that aren't in the photo that are steep. If you have some serious slopes to mow, then I would suggest looking for a used slope mower. They are way too expensive new, but you may be able to find a used one in the $10k range. My grandmother owns a Deweze slope mower that we use to mow the steep banks of the pond by her house. Though, I have been able to mow quite a bit of it with my ztr mower. The Deweze is diesel, with a 72" deck. It would handle any slope that is mowable. Ventrac is another good slope mower.

ingigo

Threads
I cannot see a steep slope in that picture. Just a Mountain Dew advertisement.

With your budget, buy a subcompact tractor and go to town with 4wd and a million other attachments you will never use.

ShaunWV

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks folks. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with a SCUT.