Surging / fuel delivery problem 4.5 HP Briggs Quantum

68Malibu383

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Surging / fuel delivery problem 4.5 HP Briggs Quantum
I have a 1996 Murray 22" with the 4.5 HP Quantum XTE engine, model number: 127802. It sat for several years and I took the carb apart, soaked it in cleaner for about a week, took a wire and ran it through all passages I could find, more carb cleaner, replaced the needle/seat/float/o-rings, etc. When cold, engine starts right up but dies unless a pump the primer bulb constantly. Once warm, it runs but surges unless I put a tiny bit of pressure on the carb spring, then it runs great (I'm guessing this closes the choke a little).

Seems like a fuel delivery issue but I can't figure out what may be restricted. No vacuum leaks that I can detect. Any suggestions?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:
I have a 1996 Murray 22" with the 4.5 HP Quantum XTE engine, model number: 127802. It sat for several years and I took the carb apart, soaked it in cleaner for about a week, took a wire and ran it through all passages I could find, more carb cleaner, replaced the needle/seat/float/o-rings, etc. When cold, engine starts right up but dies unless a pump the primer bulb constantly. Once warm, it runs but surges unless I put a tiny bit of pressure on the carb spring, then it runs great (I'm guessing this closes the choke a little).

Seems like a fuel delivery issue but I can't figure out what may be restricted. No vacuum leaks that I can detect. Any suggestions?

:welcome:

You are either not getting enough fuel to the carb or leaking air between the carb and the engine

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You could still have junk in the carb causing the surging, or if this engine has the two governor spring setup. the long spring that goes between the governor rod and the speed adjuster, and another smaller spring from the governor rod to a tab sticking up, the springs could be out of sync and cause surging.

68Malibu383

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. I'll check the springs and likely remove the carb again and try to clean more passages with wires/cleaner.