Engine Riding Mower Shuts Down When Break/Clutch Released or Clutch Switch Pulled On

turtlecove

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Riding Mower Shuts Down When Break/Clutch Released or Clutch Switch Pulled On
I have a Craftsman 917.273022, 20hp, 46” w/electric clutch. Problem: Mower worked just fine a couple of weeks ago. Today the mower will start right up; however, when I let up on the break, the engine dies as if the key is turned off. Also, if I lower the deck and pull the electric clutch switch, the mower dies. I have checked the seat switch and even bypassed and that has no effect. I thought maybe the electric clutch might be the problem; unplugged it and the problem stays the same.

As long as the break/clutch peddle remains depressed, or the clutch switch stays off, mowers runs find. It must be an electrical problem or a bad safety switch somewhere, but not sure where to start looking.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. The grass is getting tall!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Riding Mower Shuts Down When Break/Clutch Released or Clutch Switch Pulled On
:welcome:

This is an electrical problem and you will need to get a wiring diagram to sort it out without going mad.
Basically the mower thinks you are not there and is shutting down as intended.
Both point to the seat switch.
The safety circuit is a ground circuit so if one of the wires is short, you will not notice it till you activate either the clutch or the PTO.
The PTO and brake/clutch are on seperate circuits and the only thing common to both is the seat switch and the magneto kill wire.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Be aware that some of the seat switch plugs contain a shorting clip internal to the plug that grounds the prongs when it is disconnected. So you can't just put a jumper wire in the plug or just unplug it.