Replacing Mower Deck Cable on a cub cadet LTX 1045 riding mower

stllouis

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Replacing Mower Deck Cable on a cub cadet LTX 1045 riding mower
I can not find instructions anywhere on how to replace my broken mower deck cable on my cub cadet ltx1045 riding mower. I have the part on order from cub cadet. I would appreciate anyone's assistance. mower

solefate

Threads
Assuming you do mean the PTO: If you remove the battery, you should be able to see the bottom of the PTO handle with a small hole towards the bottom of it. The end of your cable without the spring will go here. Not sure on this exact mower, but generally on the opposite side, there is a small bracket for the cable to rest in, and then run the rest of the cable underneath to the deck. At the back of the deck will be another bracket that the cable will secure to. From there, look around your pulley system, there will be a hole in the bracket between your pulleys that the spring that's at the end of the cable will hook to. There may be more than one hole on the bracket, but usually the spring can only hook into the correct one. If you have trouble I will get some pictures for you.

stllouis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Assuming you do mean the PTO: If you remove the battery, you should be able to see the bottom of the PTO handle with a small hole towards the bottom of it. The end of your cable without the spring will go here. Not sure on this exact mower, but generally on the opposite side, there is a small bracket for the cable to rest in, and then run the rest of the cable underneath to the deck. At the back of the deck will be another bracket that the cable will secure to. From there, look around your pulley system, there will be a hole in the bracket between your pulleys that the spring that's at the end of the cable will hook to. There may be more than one hole on the bracket, but usually the spring can only hook into the correct one. If you have trouble I will get some pictures for you.

Thanks for your quick response. I did mean the PTO. Also, my question arises from the end of the cable near the PTO lever, not the spring end. I understand the installation of the spring end of the cable in that I have removed the mower deck before so I know how to configure that end. I will remove the battery and try to figure out my access to the small bracket to which you refer. In feeling around (I could not "eye-ball" it) at that attach point, I did not immediately understand how it attached in that it seems quite secure. Then there is the electrical plug and the part that attaches to the actual lever. Again, I could not eye ball any of these attachments. Again Thanks !

solefate

Threads
Thanks for your quick response. I did mean the PTO. Also, my question arises from the end of the cable near the PTO lever, not the spring end. I understand the installation of the spring end of the cable in that I have removed the mower deck before so I know how to configure that end. I will remove the battery and try to figure out my access to the small bracket to which you refer. In feeling around (I could not "eye-ball" it) at that attach point, I did not immediately understand how it attached in that it seems quite secure. Then there is the electrical plug and the part that attaches to the actual lever. Again, I could not eye ball any of these attachments. Again Thanks !

Can you post a picture of what you have? When I looked up that model there is only the cable, no plug. Unless it is the safety switch that sits below the lever. As for the bracket opposite the lever, I'm not for certain about your model, but the ones I've had to replace did have one. It's not necessary, but it keeps the cable out of the way. The part that attaches to the lever will just slide into a hole at the very bottom. If it is not visible from the battery compartment, it may be visible from the back of the mower between the tire and battery. I will take a few pictures of one tomorrow for reference. Keep in mind I'm still learning these things myself, but trying my best to guide you. We'll get there together. :thumbsup:

greenboaz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can you post a picture of what you have? When I looked up that model there is only the cable, no plug. Unless it is the safety switch that sits below the lever. As for the bracket opposite the lever, I'm not for certain about your model, but the ones I've had to replace did have one. It's not necessary, but it keeps the cable out of the way. The part that attaches to the lever will just slide into a hole at the very bottom. If it is not visible from the battery compartment, it may be visible from the back of the mower between the tire and battery. I will take a few pictures of one tomorrow for reference. Keep in mind I'm still learning these things myself, but trying my best to guide you. We'll get there together. :thumbsup:

Hi - I'm having this same problem, trying to figure out how to detach the PTO cable that I am needing to replace, from the interior clamp that holds it near the PTO handle. I am attaching a picture of the current cable in its clamped position. I can't seem to find the magic trick to getting the cable out of that clamp. Any advice is greatly appreciated! IMG_8054.JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you turn the white retainer around on the cable you will see it is barbed.
Squeeze the barbs in with a pair of needle nosed pliers then pull it backwards, slide the inner through the slot.
Some have 2 barbs , some 3 & others 4.
The 3 & 4 barb ones can be pulled in with a piece of wire or string wrapped around the fitting