Toro 22" Recycler Rebuilt tranny still won't work. locks up....

themikesell

Threads
  • / Toro 22" Recycler Rebuilt tranny still won't work. locks up....
Hi folks!

Im a new member, long time lurker.

I picked up a used toro 22" recycler Model 20005 for $25.00 the other day. Self propel didnt work. I opened up the gear case and saw both gears were worn out completely. Ordered new gears, installed them then only one wheel would engage fully. Both wheels have all there gears, and they are not worn down. Gear pinions are also fine.

Also, I can not push the mower forward as the front wheels lock up. However if i take the belt cover off and pull the pulley and tranny assembly towards the back it will unlock the front wheels.

What the heck is going on here? also has new belt.

thanks for your help!
michael

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things are going on. First, when the bevel and pinion gears in the tranny, you should have also replaced the bearing. Gears are not going to last long with an old bearing. Second, on the wheel which locks up, I'll bet you installed the drive gear backwards. Flipping it over should solve your problem.

themikesell

Threads
Two things are going on. First, when the bevel and pinion gears in the tranny, you should have also replaced the bearing. Gears are not going to last long with an old bearing. Second, on the wheel which locks up, I'll bet you installed the drive gear backwards. Flipping it over should solve your problem.

I'll double check the drive gears. Its both that do not move forward.....again if i tilt the trans assemble a little bit to release the tension on the belt, then the wheels spin freely.

themikesell

Threads
that did the trick. i guess i didn't realize that l & r were determined from the back of lawn mowers.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Operator position always determine left and right. Glad you got it fixed.