Help!?! Tiger Cub/Kaw FH601V Runs Erratically, Dies on Blade Engage

indiggio

Threads
  • / Help!?! Tiger Cub/Kaw FH601V Runs Erratically, Dies on Blade Engage
Just for an idea how decieving this "when hot" idea can be.
The landlord runs a fleet of 2000 series Cubs ( 5 now).
Some of them would run fine for an hour or so then backfire, loose power be impossible to start so we went down the things that get worse when hot route.

Ended up some 100 or so hours latter being nothing more than a plug of grass getting sucked into the fuel tank outlet.
Clean out the tanks on all of them and they have been faultless since.

Funny, I had already added "dump out fuel tank" to my list of things of things to do when the rain stops, just in case there's something in there that's plugging up the outlet periodically and starving the thing of fuel.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the two that were exhibiting "overheaing" problems. both had casting fins inside the fuel outlet but the Dremmel soon sorted that out.
It was not another suggestion, just an example of some thing that can reoccur at a predictable period and thus get thought of as heat related when all along it was just a running time thing.

indiggio

Threads
On the two that were exhibiting "overheaing" problems. both had casting fins inside the fuel outlet but the Dremmel soon sorted that out.
It was not another suggestion, just an example of some thing that can reoccur at a predictable period and thus get thought of as heat related when all along it was just a running time thing.

Right, that's what made me think of it the other day, that something (bug, leaf, etc.) may have gotten into the tank and sometimes gets down by the outlet and is limiting the flow of gas.

Thanks!

dnewton3

Threads
You definitely have a fuel flow restriction anywhere from the tank to carb bowl. Just do the common sense things and the process of elimination will reveal the problem.

I had a 2002 TC with Kaw FH601 engine. Never one tank of fuel went through it without Stabil additive. And 14 years later not one problem related to fuel, ever. Not after storage. Not when hot or cold, etc. Fuel is garbage today; Stabil will not solve all problems, but it will avoid some and reduce others.

BTW - if you want 25hp from that 19hp rated engine, look up my old thread about how to power-up the engine with a very simple carb modification. (PS - as near I can tell from all my research, they are doing the same thing to some of the FX series engines as well ....)

indiggio

Threads
You definitely have a fuel flow restriction anywhere from the tank to carb bowl. Just do the common sense things and the process of elimination will reveal the problem.

I had a 2002 TC with Kaw FH601 engine. Never one tank of fuel went through it without Stabil additive. And 14 years later not one problem related to fuel, ever. Not after storage. Not when hot or cold, etc. Fuel is garbage today; Stabil will not solve all problems, but it will avoid some and reduce others.

BTW - if you want 25hp from that 19hp rated engine, look up my old thread about how to power-up the engine with a very simple carb modification. (PS - as near I can tell from all my research, they are doing the same thing to some of the FX series engines as well ....)

Yeah, I'm thinking that I'm going to start adding SeaFoam to all tanks of gas to help keep any sludge from building up in there.

I also read that simply running it out of gas isn't sufficient for winter storage, but to also drain the bowl as well, so I'm planning on starting to do that.
I've never done it on anything (tractors, blowers, etc.) before, but I also read that with the added ethanol in the gas today, it makes it go sour faster.

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sea foam won't do you much good if you have an accumulation of grass clippigs & dust in the fuel tank.

indiggio

Threads
Sea foam won't do you much good if you have an accumulation of grass clippigs & dust in the fuel tank.

Yeah, cleaning out the gas tank is at the top of the list of things to do this weekend!

indiggio

Threads
Just a quick update.

Over the past couple of cuttings, I've added gas and also some SeaFoam along with.

Yesterday when I went to cut the lawn, the mower started up fine, no sputtering and seemed to feel somewhat more powerful.
I engaged the blades first time and they spun up no problem, with only a slight bog on the engine.

I think from now on, I'm going to add a bit of SeaFoam to all my stuff, save the cars as I think they turn the gas over pretty quick.

I can't say for sure that this is the resolution, but so far it seems to be pretty beneficial.

Thanks!