use of multigrade oil in kolher courage and pro v twin engines ?

hankg

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / use of multigrade oil in kolher courage and pro v twin engines ?
Would there be anything wrong with using 10-30W or 20-50W oils, in my mowers engines ? Has anybody tried. or is doing this ??

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to use the correct oil. The first number is not as important as the second number. You must go by the second number. First number is just for cold weather. It says how cold it can be outside and still start your engine. The first number has to do with engine clearences. If oil is too thick it will not get everywhere you need it. Too thin and it will not protect it.

hankg

Forum Newbie
Threads
You need to use the correct oil. The first number is not as important as the second number. You must go by the second number. First number is just for cold weather. It says how cold it can be outside and still start your engine. The first number has to do with engine clearences. If oil is too thick it will not get everywhere you need it. Too thin and it will not protect it.

Thanks for the input, that was pretty much what I thought, but like others opinions before I do something that might come back to bite me.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is worthwile to use an air cooled engne oil.
Mower oil motorcycle oil etc.
Viscosities as per previous post.
More important than what goes in is how often you replace it which can never bee too frequently.
Car oils are not the same but usually are not a problem till the end of season as mower oils cantain a lot more corrosion inhibitors than automotive oils.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Would there be anything wrong with using 10-30W or 20-50W oils, in my mowers engines ? Has anybody tried. or is doing this ??

There's nothing wrong with using a multi-viscosity oils in mower engines. I've used Mobil 10w-30 multi-viscosity oil in the Kohler Courages engines for years and in all my Kawasaki engines the same and never had any issues. Check your manual and use the recommended sae viscosity grades table. You can use 10w-30 in temps that range between 0 to over 100 degrees (F) without issue. If you want to spend the money for Kohler Oil they have there own 10w-30 you can get for the Kohler engines.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oil is kinda controversial...I run 5W-30 in the Intek. While is is newer (thinner)the engine kicks it out and you must be especially careful of oil level. Once heat degrades the additive pak it just runs at 30 wt. It has been shown the thinner viscosity will cool better which IMO ac engines need.:2cents:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All Kohler overhead valve engines call for 10W-30.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can use straight 30w in the command if using above 50 degrees, (gets too thick in cold temperatures, and will result in overfilling of the lifters, causing the valves to not close and the engine to die.) and also the newer big block 38-40 hp engines call for 20w50.

What I find odd is Briggs allows the use of 5w30 synthetic up to 100 degrees, but Kohler says not to use it above 32 degrees.

Since the Courage doesn't have the hydraulic lifters the oil grade weight isn't nearly as important. I use the 10w30 in all the kohlers except the K-series and the big block engines.

cashman

Threads
Years ago when Kohler came out with their own line of oils, A guy from Conoco-Phillips which was making the Kohler oil and other branded air-cooled oils at that time gave a presentation on oil at a meeting at the Kohler factory. It mostly has to do with crankcase temperatures when the engine is under load. According to Conoco-Phillips, most regular automotive oils are designed for a maximum operating temperature of about 230 degrees F. Most full synthetic oils can go to a higher temperature. Air-cooled engines can see operating temperatures in the 280 - 300 degrees F. You have to use a higher grade base stock to achieve those temperature requirements thus the higher cost of air cooled engine oils verses typical automotive oils. One thing that they did stress was to never use any type of Teflon additive to an air cooled engine.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
cashman, Thank you for finally supporting something I have said for my time on this forum , never confirmed or supported by any user or pro-that the ac mower engines run 280F-300F. So my Beedee oil temp gauge is not lying . My Intek does run at 280f-300F. To me that is really too close to head damaging temps for comfort. (The sump oil is 300F so it is out around the head temp so heat in the head is primarily controlled by the fan?) Especially with the clientele who buy big box , but also others who buy upscale machines with the ac engines it would seem coolers would be beneficial. (cooler oil cools the piston , helping to keep head heat under control?)

As just a homeowner who has often looked upscale it is somewhat puzzling why, at (perhaps) the next step of compact tractors , many seem to retain the same ac engines that have heat problems in the downscale mowers, and do not change over to liquid cooling. The latter engines more expensive to manufacture, I guess.