Lawn Boy 10324 Extremely High RPMs

Gigawiz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all!
About a year ago, I obtained a Lawn Boy 10324 from my neighbor who was moving. When I got the mower it was incredibly dirty so I cleaned it to the best of my ability. This included taking the carb off, cleaning it and hosing down the deck. After I "cleaned" the carb and put it all back together, it gave me a hassle starting, so I put it aside. Fast forward a year to today. I decided to give cleaning the carb another go and completely disassembled it. Removed all the jets from the plastic, the white "rpm lever" that controls the butterfly, then cleaned out all the jets and plastic by blowing compressed air through the holes. I put it all back together and viola! The mower starts. But now it runs at what seems like superspeed (almost like I started a chainsaw and kept it running at full boar). The throttle control (lever on the handle to control engine speed) seems to do nothing, and adjusting the click wheel on the white "rpm lever" does not slow it down either. I am a little nervous to use the mower at what seems like a high rpm (in fact, I don't let it run for more than 30 seconds after start).

I checked over my work and the float moves freely up and down, and when the carb is up-side down it sits even with the plastic housing, and the linkage for the throttle control is connected and moves properly. The only possible culprit i can think of is the spring on the "rpm lever" on top of the carb. The spring was moving freely when I took the carb apart, and (thinking this was not supposed to be) I bent the end that sits inside the plastic click wheel around the hole it sits in (so it wouldn't come loose). Other than that, I re-assembled the carb the exact same way I took it apart.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, please share them, I really like this mower and it would be a shame to trash it (can't afford to have an actual dealer fix it).

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gig, I do not know that machine, but... when you pressed or replaced the butterfly crank was is keyed or somehow indexed to the shaft so that the butterfly sat at rest in a closed position? If not the butterfly is not closed and cannot make closed settings from either a governor or a hand throttle. BTW you are wise not to run it too long at high rpm. It may be a bomb running as fast as you describe.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The throttle lever makes it go fast and the govenor makes it go slow.
At rest the throttle should be fully open and movement of the govenor should close it down.
On the sprint engine it is possible to move the throttle lever over the throttle stop so the butterfly is held WFO.
When hosing down the mower you can also knock off the govenor spring.
Some of them have 2 springs.

Welcome

Gigawiz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gig, I do not know that machine, but... when you pressed or replaced the butterfly crank was is keyed or somehow indexed to the shaft so that the butterfly sat at rest in a closed position? If not the butterfly is not closed and cannot make closed settings from either a governor or a hand throttle. BTW you are wise not to run it too long at high rpm. It may be a bomb running as fast as you describe.

Thanks for the quick replies, I didn't think to check if i put the butterfly back in place properly. It is a little late to check it now (dark outside), however I'll try this tomorrow and report back.