185 John Deere won't crank

wgordon57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pulled it out of the garage and it started fine. Turned it off and put gas in and when I tried to start it again nothing. Changed the solenoid,disabled the seat switch and still nothing not even a click. dash lights work. PTO switch clicks when I turn it on and off. Battery tests fine and the switch is getting juice to the solenoid. Any ideas?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
gordon, yes, back up and tell us how long the mower sat and if old, un- doped gas was in it , for starters. And might as well include all model and engine id numbers as the pros may then help.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I recall that model JD has a main fuse which is just in back of the dash area.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Start by verifing the starter motor by jumping it directly from another battery.
If that works then try jumping directly from the mowers battery.
If that works trying starting on the key with just the earth jumper attached/

check for 12V at one of the solenoid control wire ( purple or blue) and if it has two control wires contnuity to earth on the other,( Black)

wgordon57

Forum Newbie
Threads
gordon, yes, back up and tell us how long the mower sat and if old, un- doped gas was in it , for starters. And might as well include all model and engine id numbers as the pros may then help.

I last used /started the mower in Oct. The gas was almost empty and after I started it ( it started right up ) and pulled it out of the garage shut it off filled up the gas.. then nothing . Lights came on but it would not click when I turned the key or even try to crank.

it is a kawasaki motor I think it is 17 hp serial number ec540043700 ( There is a sticker above that reads Code and the numbers are F540v-AS00). On the Motor up top it reads fc540v over head valve

wgordon57

Forum Newbie
Threads
I still can't get it to crank. Changed starter and starter switch. New battery and both cables. I did find a s shaped wire laying on the ground under it. it is about 6 inches long but cant find where it should go. Any ideas?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In post 4 above I asked you to do 4 tests and get back to me with the results.
But it seem you would rather throw your away money away .
You are now $200 out of pocket and still without a working mower.
The fix would have been $ 5.00.
So you amy as well change the starter solenoid, fuel pump, carburettor ,ignition modules, and battery
Then when you are another $ 500 out of pocket you might start to think about what you are doing or even spend $ 100 on the JD service manual as it seem you don't want to listen to me.

wgordon57

Forum Newbie
Threads
:welcome: Ok you have my attention

Start by verifing the starter motor by jumping it directly from another battery. It clicked
If that works then try jumping directly from the mowers battery. it Clicked
If that works trying starting on the key with just the earth jumper attached/ Not sure what you mean. How do I do this

check for 12V at one of the solenoid control wire ( purple or blue) and if it has two control wires contnuity to earth on the other,( Black)
Not sure what you mean. How do I do this

wgordon57

Forum Newbie
Threads
S Hook.png Do you know where this goes. I found it under the tractor