New Lawn Mower Won't Start

MarkSTL

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. I am a new member and I have an odd question. I purchased a Craftsman 625 series Rotary lawn mower model #917.378910 last winter. It has the Briggs & Stratton 6.25 Gold series engine. It has the one pull start system so there is no primer bulb. It was brand new in the box stored in my garage. I took it out Thursday to use it and put the oil in and fresh gas. Would not start. When I finally did get it started it ran fine. I cut the grass stopped it and put more gas in it and she fired right up. Tested it Friday to see if it would start and had the same issues. Put carb cleaner into the carb but that was no help. Sears referred me to a service shop through them but they are 5 weeks behind. Anyone any issues with this model, or any clue what I might try? Thanks! Not sure if it should go here or the Craftsman Forum so I put it on both.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try replacing the spark plug. Since 2012 Briggs has been using a special .020 gap plug that has a habit of just fouling out.

MarkSTL

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! I tried that with no luck. The factory plug was fine and not fouled. It seems once I get it to start after pulling and pulling and it starts then she runs fine. I can let it run for a minute turn it off and she fires right up. Once the throttle plate of the carb is in the open position all is good. Yesterday I let it set for an hour after running and it was right back to not starting. I tried holding the throttle plate partially open but it still won't fire right up. When the throttle plate is closed in the choke position I have the same issue. There is no primer bulb so I presume when you pull the cord and spin the motor gas is pumped into the carb. I have had lawn mowers for decades and never had a brand new one do this or an old one for that matter.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Long shot ....I have a Tecumseh single on a rototiller which is very prone to flood. By that I mean there is a 3 position choke adjustment. In 60F weather I use the full choke position for one rope pull only , then to intermediate or even no choke and it fires. IT DOES NOT LIKE A SECOND PULL WITH FULL CHOKE POSITION. First couple years I continually had to remove the air cleaner to get it to start until I finally realized how hot blooded it is (like me:laughing:) Only an idea.

MarkSTL

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks ! My problem is there is no way I can see to change the choke setting. I too have had to rove the air cleaner to finally get it to start.