Walk behind New Mower Won't Start

MarkSTL

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. I am a new member and I have an odd question. I purchased a Craftsman 625 series Rotary lawn mower model #917.378910 last winter. It has the Briggs & Stratton 6.25 Gold series engine. It has the one pull start system so there is no primer bulb. It was brand new in the box stored in my garage. I took it out Thursday to use it and put the oil in and fresh gas. Would not start. When I finally did get it started it ran fine. I cut the grass stopped it and put more gas in it and she fired right up. Tested it Friday to see if it would start and had the same issues. Put carb cleaner into the carb but that was no help. Sears referred me to a service shop through them but they are 5 weeks behind. Anyone any issues with this model, or any clue what I might try? Thanks!

possum

Threads
Just take it to the service center or try to get Sears to exchange it. If that does not work for you pull the plug and test for spark. If good spark then pull the air filter and see if the choke is closing. If not closing then the choking system is bad and you might as well wait for the service center. If the plug then replace and try that. One thing I have done if the choke was the problem was close the choke by hand and start it. then put on the air filter and go mow. I would not mess with it except for the plug. To easy to get warranty denied. Also. look up your service centers in your area on the Briggs site and call some of them. Maybe find one that gets you in sooner.

MarkSTL

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks that is what I am doing. They are backed up 5 weeks so I was hoping to find something simple. There is spark and the throttle plate looking at the carb is closed when the engine is cold but does open when I finally get it to run.