John Deere 757 Ztrax - any thoughts

Cougar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking at purchasing an 08 John Deere 757, Kawasaki V-Twin, 25 hp w/60 inch deck. It has 270 hours, new blades and is in very good shape. They are asking $5,600 which seems reasonable.

Is there anything with this model that I should be wary of? I have looked at new units, but a similar model would be $8K. My use is purely residential, about 2.5 acres.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
This seem to be a common problem but can be avoided if cleaned regularly.

"Solution Number: 80404

Solution Summary: 737/757 Engine Overheat kit - Use kit to prevent debris from entering engine

Publication Date: Aug 8 2008

Engine has low power, poor performance or misfire due to one of the following:

Blown head gasket

Seized intake or exhaust valve

Valve guide(s) has moved

Push rod(s) has came off of rocker arm and/or are bent

Problem or Situation :
Engine has overheated due to debris build up around the cylinder head cooling fins. When this occurs, engine temperature exceeds normal operating temperature, and can cause several visible and audible failure modes; i.e. poor performance, misfire, blown head gasket, seized engine. Upon inspection of the engine and components the following may be found: bent push rods, stuck valves, valve guide(s) moved, seized or broken piston(s), etc.

Operator's are not following recommended Service Intervals in the Operator's Manual on removing engine shrouds and cleaning engine cooling fins.

NOTE: When operating in severe conditions, dusty and/or high ambient temperatures, service interval may need to be increased. Daily cleaning of the engine fan screen maybe necessary if it shows signs of debris build up.

Solution :
1. Remove engine shrouds and inspect for debris around the cylinder head(s).
2. Remove any debris from behind engine shroud and cylinder head(s).
3. Remove engine valve cover and inspect:

NOTE: Rocker arm and spring may need to be removed to determine if the valve guide(s) have moved. Refer to the picture Fig1.jpg for measurement.

•If valve guide(s) have moved, replace cylinder head assembly.

•If valve guide(s) have not moved, but push rod(s) are bent from stuck valve(s), replace damaged push rods and valves. Before inserting new valves into cylinder head, clean valve guides using a 6 mm (0.236 inch) reamer.

4. If push rods and valve guides meet specifications listed in Technical Manual proceed with removing cylinder head to inspect head gasket. If the head gasket has failed and shows signs of carbon tracking, clean cylinder head mating surfaces. Check cylinder head for warping by using a flat piece of stock to check for flatness. If cylinder head is warped, replace complete head assembly and reinstall shroud.

NOTE: Maximum head warp specification is .002”

5. If you have a machine that has a head damage described above, order and install Heavy Duty Overheat Kit TCA18947.
This repair is not covered under normal warranty.

NOTE: Kit has a perforated screen to help clean the air before it reaches the fan shroud. Fig2.jpgThe Updated shroud and PEP plate from solution 77392 will not be used with this kit.

Additional Information:

PRODUCTS AFFECTED :

737A (TC0737A030001 – )
737B (TC0737B030001 – )
757A (TC0757A030001 – )
757B (TC0757B030001 - )
757MB (TC757MB010001 – )

Installation of this kit should take 3 hours or less to install. "

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum. :smile:

I'm going to move your thread over to the John Deere section to see if anyone over there is familiar with it.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Blaz good stuff. item 3 , bullet two. cleaning out coked valve guides. May be caused from shutting off overheated engine instead of idle cooling and curing overheat source. In small plane world causes "morning sickness." At that price this is a compact tractor?

2bazookas

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking at purchasing an 08 John Deere 757, Kawasaki V-Twin, 25 hp w/60 inch deck. It has 270 hours, new blades and is in very good shape. They are asking $5,600 which seems reasonable.

Is there anything with this model that I should be wary of? I have looked at new units, but a similar model would be $8K. My use is purely residential, about 2.5 acres.

Stop thinking about it. Think about something else!

Carterslawn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome to the forum. :smile:

I'm going to move your thread over to the John Deere section to see if anyone over there is familiar with it.
Owned this particular model. When they were first introduced they had an issue with debris building up around cylinder heads causing excess heat and engine failure. They corrected the problem and the mowers with the modification were fine. I only got rid of mine after the engine was replaced and put 1000 hours on the new engine because the rest of the tractor was beginning to show years of commercial use. Very good machine.