Run it or Trade it

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Question to commercial operators.

On zero turn mowers and other at is a sizable investment.

Is it more profitable to trade Zero Turns at 2 years whe the warranty is going out and replace them with new ones or run them till the wheels run off of them and keep rebuilding/repairing them till they are completely worn out?

I have asked that question to numerous people. Both schools of thought have good arguments. Give me input as to which you do and why.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I keep them for years. For me doing maintenance and repairs is cheaper then a new mower.
Rather then replace a hydro pump I rebuild them for $35.
Can get V twin engines all day for $300.
I replace spindle bearings every 200 hours.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I keep them for years. For me doing maintenance and repairs is cheaper then a new mower.
Rather then replace a hydro pump I rebuild them for $35.
Can get V twin engines all day for $300.
I replace spindle bearings every 200 hours.

Same here. Biggest deal is I do my own work. If I could not then I would rethink things. Im betting that is going to be where people draw the line. Who can pay someone big money in repairs and be out a mower(money maker) for days?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Same here. Biggest deal is I do my own work. If I could not then I would rethink things. Im betting that is going to be where people draw the line. Who can pay someone big money in repairs and be out a mower(money maker) for days?

That the key. Do your own work. And have a few mowers.
My wife was just getting on to me today to fix the scag. 30 minute fix been sitting for a few months.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I work on mowers that range from 40 years old to last years models and I woul not dream of upgrading .
Every year mowers come out with more "desireabe" features and less durability in order to be $ 50 cheaper than their competitor.
So every time you upgrage you will need to be looking at a higher, thus more expensive replacement.
Add to that the down time working out which blades work best for your customers, getting used to the new mowers size & controls etc etc etc.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I work on mowers that range from 40 years old to last years models and I woul not dream of upgrading .
Every year mowers come out with more "desireabe" features and less durability in order to be $ 50 cheaper than their competitor.
So every time you upgrage you will need to be looking at a higher, thus more expensive replacement.
Add to that the down time working out which blades work best for your customers, getting used to the new mowers size & controls etc etc etc.

I am thinking if we trade at 2 years that we will stay with Scag Tiger Cats. They will have about 1000 hours on them at 24 months.

My problem on repair is time. I have too much els going on to do much repair work when we get home at the end of the day.